FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ortofon 2M Black vs. Rega Ania vs. Hanna SL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jlwallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlwallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ortofon 2M Black vs. Rega Ania vs. Hanna SL
    Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 8:31pm
Hello, everyone! I'm new to the site and wanted to start off with a question you probably see a great deal of.

Currently I have a Rega Planar 3 (with upgraded subplatter, tone arm shims, and isolation feet). The cartridge I've been using for the last year is an Ortofon 2M Black. My preamp is a Schitt Mani which runs into a pair of Audio Engine A5+ speakers. All sounds very good, but I think I can get even better sound. On another forum (which brought me here), I asked if I should make the change to either a Rega Ania or a Hana SL. One member of the forum suggested to stick with 2M Black, but upgrade the Mani to a Graham Slee Reflex M. So my question would be this:

Would that be your advice as well?

Thoughts?

Thank you so much.

Jack
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 6:21am
Hello Jack and welcome. I'm assuming you're in the US from your IP address? If so message Bruce (BAK) and ask him to lend you the loaner program Reflex M. If you're unsure on how to use the  message system, see the instructions on this (by now familiar) page:

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 8:47am
Hi Jack

The carts you mention are low output Moving Coils.
You'd need a stepup device to run them into a Reflex M.
Your 2M Black would be quite happy running straight into a Reflex M, the other two would not.

You could look at one of Grahams MC preamps to keep cost and box count down.
You could try a Reflex M fronted with an Elevator, but you're looking at two boxes.
You could try a Hana SH direct into a Reflex M (which is what I do, with astonishingly good results).
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:09am
hi Jack,
  I moved from a price-comparable phono stage to the Reflex M and it was a giant step up. It paired beautifully with my 2M Black and 2M Bronze. Try one through the loan scheme and you can hear for yourself what kind of improvements are available.
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:06am
Hi Jack, welcome to the forum.
The Ortofon 2M Black is well regarded as perhaps one of the best MMs. If you already like the sound of it, I would second Grahams suggestion and take advantage of the loan scheme to hear just how the Reflex or Accession can get the best from it.

Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
jlwallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlwallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 12:57pm
Thank you, Graham. I have contacted Bruce and initiated the process for the loaner program. I can't wait to hear how the preamp sounds.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 1:02pm
Hi Jack, welcome to the forum.
 I sent you a message to your email with shipping cost.

G'Day !
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic