FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker Stands, some questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:33pm
You should be able to tilt them upwards towards the listening position whichever you end up with.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:34pm
I use blutak or poster tak to secure my medium/large bookshelf speakers to my stands. Never had a problem with doing that but there are other methods some folks may prefer. If your floor is carpeted I would probably use spikes at the bottom of the stand. If you have tile or wood floors, the little rubber bumpers are preferable so you don't scratch your wood/tile. 

I don't my stands are filled with sand or buckshot, but they are nearly 40 lbs each so plenty heavy on their own. With lighter weight stands and heavier speakers, I'd definitely consider filling them with something if possible. 

Height of the stand (e.g. 2 ft or 3 ft or something else) should be determined by where the height will allow the speaker to be at ear level. 

No experience with the particular stands you linked. I would check the height to make sure it is correct for your speakers as they are only around 9'' high if I'm reading the description correctly. I assume your speakers are quite tall if you considering stands that short. 

Edited by patientot - 14 Jan 2019 at 8:35pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:48pm
Ideally you want the speakers to stay still so some filler to add mass and stop the stands ringing is good. A good join between speaker and stand by spikes, pads, blu-tac, etc. can all help but may sound slightly different.

With deep carpet I agree about spikes unless you have wooden floorboards in which case you may find spikes mean they act as a soundboard and colour the bass with their resonances. Then I'd try some isolation between stand and speaker like gel pads to see if that helps.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 14 Jan 2019 at 10:50pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:25am
With regard to others comments on getting the speaker to ear height, the aim should be to bring the tweeter to your sitting ear height if possible
Derek
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:57am
Thanks everyone for their input.
I think the speakers are little larger than some of you have realised, 22 litres is not an easy quantity to visualise. I have added a clip from the fabrication instructions. 
Raising them will make them quite prominent, I am pondering some angled supports that 'point' them to ear level. Perhaps like these: https://www.hifix.co.uk/audioengine-ds2-desktop-speaker-stands-medium-large-black-pair
Two houses back our sitting room was so small I actually wall mounted them off special directional brackets, but they were either side of a chimney breast so did not project into the room. It wouldn't suit our current living room.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by peterb peterb wrote:

Thanks everyone for their input.
I think the speakers are little larger than some of you have realised, 22 litres is not an easy quantity to visualise. I have added a clip from the fabrication instructions. 
Raising them will make them quite prominent, I am pondering some angled supports that 'point' them to ear level. Perhaps like these: https://www.hifix.co.uk/audioengine-ds2-desktop-speaker-stands-medium-large-black-pair
Two houses back our sitting room was so small I actually wall mounted them off special directional brackets, but they were either side of a chimney breast so did not project into the room. It wouldn't suit our current living room.

490mm = approx. 19 inches tall. That's a bit taller than my speakers, which are around 14.5'' tall. I have mine on 2 foot stands to get the tweeters at ear level. The height you need for your stands will probably be less but will also depend on your seating position. I doubt the audioengine stands will work. Those are designed for small desktop type computer speakers. 
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:13pm
Yes I have being doing the sums and checking the web and agree with you.
So far I haven't found anything on the web to suit, even wedge type supports.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic