FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker Stands, some questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker Stands, some questions
    Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 1:20pm
As my speakers a large bookshelf units, 22 litres, I have always run them sitting on the floor but my current room setup puts a coffee table between them and my usual sitting position. Unfortunately locating them anywhere else in the room is impossible. I also found out, by accident, that the bass response seemed very much better a little closer and further from them. This has made me think that the furniture is 'getting in the way' of the bass frequencies getting into phase. (my choice of words, not sure how else to put it!).
All this has brought me to the conclusion that stands might be the answer, not that my darling wife thinks that making those b****y things any bigger could ever be a good idea!

Have other forum members good experiences of stands? 
Do they have to filled with expensive, unspecified grains to isolate them? I have them on a carpeted concrete floor.
Are spikes needed, a good idea?
Are the little cushion pads on the stand tops anything special or just high friction buffers? 

Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 2:38pm
Spikes should be fine. Dry sand works well for filling the stands.
Getting the speaker up to ear level may improve things.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 2:55pm
from experience many years ago filling a hollow metal stand with sand CAN rob the bass of speed and detail (one note).

How about a hardwood stand or similar?  Personally would avoid rubber pads between stand and speaker as have found this tends to soften or blur the sound. Like most things like this train and error or trial by ear to test your assumptions 

CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:30pm
The important part is the interface.
I used spikes between speaker and stand on my sand filled speaker stands, and noticed no difference compared to them being empty.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:48pm
Yes the interface is important and would follow the reasoning to avoid say rubber pads- have never tried spikes between spraker and stand but tend to agree with the logic.  I used to use medium grade sandpaper at each corner to ensure contact and grip.  Now used Les Davis pads to isolate and absorb vibrations which do work by cleaning all areas of the presentation and lift the music away from the speakers.

Once you have your stands you can try various options which you should be able to tue the sound to your taste.
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:14pm
Thanks for the words of wisdom!
I guess the objective is isolation, both the stand filling, spikes and pads. 
Family harmony will determine if they are 300 or 400mm high!

Do they look as if they will do what I want? (I guess an impossible question)
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:32pm
You may also want to consider 

I think they can be made to a custom size and may be more ‘family friendly’ though cannot comment whether better or worse - though my brother bought a pair of hi-fi racks for his 40kg speakers.

From past experience AS may allow you to buy/borrow both so you can keep the ones you prefer and return the other one?  This is what I did with my TT mats!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic