FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PC Power Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC Power Supply
    Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:06pm
After 5 years of use, my laptop is almost on its way out. The power connector is loose so the battery doesn't charge very easily, the keyboard is pretty rubbish and the system has little errors/"bugs" that I have to put up with, making it slow and tedious sometimes. Consequently, I am in the market for a new computer and I am probably going to get a desktop PC, either pre-built or perhaps more likely, build one myself as I want to customise every aspect of the system to my own needs and understand in more detail how computers work. I'm leaning towards a gaming PC spec as it will favour audio/video applications. My computer is my main source of audio enjoyment so squeezing the maximum sound performance out of it is a top priority. So on to the basics of a computer build, I need to choose how I am going to power the system as clearly high quality power supplies have huge significance on audio signal fidelity. So is Graham or anyone else here able to recommend a PC PSU that will do music justice? Or Graham, can you build a quality PSU mains PCB if I provide the metal enclosure? Obviously this will power everything in the PC like motherboard, CPU, GPU, SSD and any other peripherals I wish to add. Would such a PSU help to improve the computer audio or am I completely misguided?
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:27pm
You just want to supply the audio circuits separately. RPi audio hats are coming with removable links so they can be powered separately from the mother board. Have a look to see if you can get a sound card that can take a separate supply.

There are too many low, odd ball, high current circuits in a PC hence the switch mode supplies.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:12pm
Well I would use the Majestic/Enigma as my "soundcard" but its input signal in the digital domain will still be subjected to the computer PSU noise. Just wondering if a GS-style supply would help to remove some noise from USB. I don't believe that the digital domain is immune to noise/interference.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:50pm
Sorry Ash,
Thought you wanted hi res. Just use an RPi with a digi pro Pi hat. Power the hat from Graham’s new 5V 3A supply and away you go. SPDIF into the Majestic with no computer noise.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:15pm
Wow, thanks. Then I assume the only additional thing I need to connect is either a touchscreen or screen via HDMI and mouse via USB in order to interact with operating system and select a track to listen to? What determines what file formats are recognised? RPi CPU will process FLAC or WAV?
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:49pm
Ash,
I use Volumio, but there is Rune and a few others freely available on the net. You control it from your phone via an app no screen, no keyboard or mouse. Headless and more importantly for your listening room fanless.

For about £80 and an hours work you’ll be up and running. See the Hifiberry site. It’s got the parts and the build info you need.

Edited by Ernie - 09 Dec 2018 at 8:52pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:22pm
Thanks. I can only apologise for my embarrassing lack of education when it comes to apps and electronics technology. Dead I'm only 30 as well.

Music is pretty much sorted then. Slee 5V 3A supply into RPi3 into Hifi+ Pro S/PDIF optical into Majestic (Enigma powered) Lautus line-out into Solo ULDE (standard PSU1) into MySphere 3.1. I might even put a Smyth Realizer in the system with Lautus cabling (and custom PSU?) for good measure. I might opt for the RPi touchscreen so the whole thing is tethered together without wireless things. If I were to use it for speakers, wireless phone control would be beneficial indeed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic