FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Trouble with Goldring 1042

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 8:29pm
Update: 

The Goldring is now mounted on a new Yamamoto HS-1A headshell and set up for play. The headshell is made of wood and doesn't ride as tall as my AT-MG10, and the slots were long enough to get the correct JVC overhang/alignment. Azimuth has been adjusted via the headshell allen key very slightly. I have a clear acrylic block with lines to fine tune that coming soon. For VTA, this headshell is shorter and doesn't cause the arm to ride down like the MG10. It does still slope down a very, very slightly amount when viewing the arm pivot. I could probably correct that by putting a second set of thin plastic washers between the cartridge body and headshell but I'm not sure if it's necessary just yet. I tried stacking platter mats but it seemed to reduce clearance between the body and the headshell. 

As you can see from the pic, clearance from the record is only a few millimeters, but that's how this cartridge has been since I got it. According to Goldring that's about how it should ride. 

Playing Mahavishu Orchestra's Birds of Fire right now. Not a great test record for the issues I described in previous posts, but I just felt like listening to it. The amount of detail the Reflex M brings out in the drum department is incredible. I noticed this on other records with the Stanton running into the Reflex also.

I will do some more testing with other records and dial in VTF and azimuth further over the next couple days. 

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 8:09am
Nice photo! That looks right to me and seems a good combo with the Reflex M, as do the other carts. I've enjoyed The Crossing a couple of times since you suggested Porrohman as a test track, thank you.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 8:53am
whilst not directed at the issue under discussion here the mounting bolts appear to be white plastic?

I have always used brass/nickel ones and wonder if anyone has undertaken any sonic tests between them?

My fuzzy logic would suggest that metal are likely to be more rigid, can be tightened more firmly but plastic would provide a decoupling effect?  
I have rarely seen arm components screwed together with plastic fittings.

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Nice photo! That looks right to me and seems a good combo with the Reflex M, as do the other carts. I've enjoyed The Crossing a couple of times since you suggested Porrohman as a test track, thank you.

With the Reflex, I think one of the main things for me is that the overload margin is much more generous than my current phono pre. Needless to say I'm impressed. 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

whilst not directed at the issue under discussion here the mounting bolts appear to be white plastic?

I have always used brass/nickel ones and wonder if anyone has undertaken any sonic tests between them?

My fuzzy logic would suggest that metal are likely to be more rigid, can be tightened more firmly but plastic would provide a decoupling effect?  
I have rarely seen arm components screwed together with plastic fittings.

Yes the mounting hardware is white nylon plastic. I never used this type of hardware until earlier this year. Before that I always used aluminum or whatever the manufacturer of the cartridge provided. I starting using this hardware because many Stanton users swear by it. With a Stanton, you either have to use these hard black plastic mounting blocks or the "double nut" technique with nylon hardware otherwise you can have a grounding issue. I had a hard time with the mounting blocks so I tried the nylon and it worked for me. 

The reason I put the nylon hardware on the Goldring is because the body design makes it hard to use many types of screws with this cartridge. I had several sets of different hardware on hand and this is the only one that worked for headshell. Too short, and it won't fit a thicker headshell. Too long, and you can't get the nuts on the screw because the body blocks you from doing that. Try it upside down, the screw heads are too big and won't fit. With the nylon hardware, the screw heads are a little smaller and I was able to get them to work upside down with the nuts on top. Many other cartridge manufacturers give more clearance around the body so it's not so difficult to use different types and sizes of hardware. 

In terms of the coupling/decoupling thing, I have no idea, but I have not had any problems using nylon hardware. Some folks have mentioned that it in some cases, it may come loose due to vibration and throw off your alignment. I haven't had that problem though. 

Edited by patientot - 05 Dec 2018 at 2:45pm
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 2:47pm
good so was I until I bought an accession -not that it makes the reflex look bad in anyway just the Accession is superior in all ways.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 12:30pm
I used a G1042 on a GyroSE/Tecnoarm with my Reflex M for many years - and was very, very happy with it.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic