FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Reflex C and AT33EV & Dynavector 20x2L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jimmm18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmm18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex C and AT33EV & Dynavector 20x2L
    Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 8:23pm
Hi All

I did a search on the forum and could not find much on using the Reflex C with either of these cartridges.  Fact is not many posts on the Reflex C

I currently have a Reflex C with the basic power supply that I purchased used.  Unfortunately no PSU1.  I am using it now with a Audio Technica AT33EV and I have a brand new Dynavector 20x2H that I could exchanged for a 20x2l.

Id anyone using these cartridges with the Reflex C? Also, how does the C compare to the sound of the M.  Lots of reviews on the M.

I am finding the C a little dark sounding but I have only had it since Friday evening and, though it is used, it looks like it may not have ever been used or it hasn't been for a long time.

I know this is vague.  I am struggling to figure out if I like the reflex or not.  My other MC stage is an Conrad-Johnson EF1. 

Jim

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:13pm
Hi Jim,

And welcome to the forum.

I've quite a few of Graham's phono amps, but never heard the Reflex C - I've always used the Elevator EXP into MM amps.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "dark" sounding. Do you mean it lacks high frequency "sparkle" (for want of a better word)? Everyone of Graham's amps I've heard have had a very neutral sound, as if they're just getting out of the way of the music. HF response has been dependent on the cartridge and the setup (VTA etc).

Your Reflex C will benefit from being powered up for a few days - it should never be turned off unless you're going away from home for while. 

This forum has a loan scheme, so you could borrow a Reflex C and see if the two units sound the same. Bruce (aka BAK) operates the US loans, and it's free apart from shipping costs both ways. If you're interested drop BAK a private message to arrange.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 3:21pm
Hi Jim,
As Bob says, give the Reflex C around a couple of weeks of being powered up.

I haven't used the Reflex C with your cartridges but I did use the C with an Ortofon Cadenza Blue
for quite a while & found it had a neutral sound - I was impressed with it.
One or two other stages (not GSP) I tried with the Blue sounded lean & bright
but not the C - it did tame the cartridge's tendency to be a little too bright & 'vivid'.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
jimmm18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmm18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:50pm
Thanks RichW and Bob

I have been in contact with Bruce and I am working on the loaner. PSU1.  Or I just might buy it as last night everything feel into place and the phono stage sounds great.  I think the AT33Ev is fully broken in now (it is only a week old) and the reflex got its 72 hours up time (picked it up on Friday.)  I am in the middle of an Analog upgrade, I guess.  Turntable is a VPI Scoutmaster.

My other phono stage is a Conrad-Johnson EF1.  Interesting that they now are sound more the same than different.  Both very good.

Jim

Bob, do you really have a Morris Minor?
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 3:22am
I wonder what the new price used to be on the EF1? The Reflex C still looking a major bargain? Bravo, Graham.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
jimmm18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmm18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 1:26am
Well I am listening to it now and is sounding great. Maybe amazing but not there yet.  I think better than the ef1,at least with the at33ev.  Both the cartridge and preamp are all getting burned in.  And I don't even have the psu1 yet!  Should arrive this week but not sure I needed it.

Happy today.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 8:18am
Originally posted by jimmm18 jimmm18 wrote:

Well I am listening to it now and is sounding great. Maybe amazing but not there yet.  I think better than the ef1,at least with the at33ev.  Both the cartridge and preamp are all getting burned in.  And I don't even have the psu1 yet!  Should arrive this week but not sure I needed it.

Happy today.

I think you'll enjoy what the PSU1 brings to the party Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic