FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Thinking about a 1200G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 10:45am
Chris is right about the new 1200's. If you have got the classic SL1210/1210 I would encourage you to try an external supply for the reasons Chris explained above. That was the best advice I was given for my SL1210/II (another thank you to Graham) and probably the single best upgrade I have made.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 10:58am
Maybe I will try it when (and if) I will have to send up my Technics for periodical revision/cleaning/maintenance. Thanks for the advice!

JonThurston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonThurston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 4:18pm
One disconcerting development on the SL-1200 G:

I'd read elsewhere on a forum linked to a famous mastering engineer of owners beginning to notice a platter wobble that can occur on 1200 Gs. Various short films uploaded to illustrate the phenomenon.

Naturally, I checked mine and lo!... a bleedin' wobble! 

It's certainly slight but easily discernible to the naked eye once you are aware of it. It resembles a kind of undulation, in rhythm, and I would say the peak vertical motion is not more than 1mm - difficult to tell.

Naturally I've double checked the seating of the platter on the spindle assembly, cleaned everything, etc. - but its still there. In fact, on lightly pressing the outer edge of the platter whilst its stationary there is a definite rocking or play that can be felt.

Whether the root cause is in the machining of the platter, or issues with the spindle assembly, or something else... who knows?

And what effect it has on musical reproduction? - who knows, but certainly it can't be helpful. Technics make a big deal re. their platter construction on the 1200 G.

My deck is 4-months old and in pristine order. I bought it new from a well-known online retailer that went into administration earlier this year, so I've contacted Technics directly but they are... not overly keen on getting into the matter, shall we say.

Edited by JonThurston - 19 May 2019 at 4:21pm
Technics SL 1200G w/ Oyaide BR12 & STB-MXS - Benz Micro Glider SL - Cyrus Phono Signature w/ PSX-R2 - Rega Elex-R - Icon Audio HP8 Mk2.2 SE - Sennheiser HD800S - ProAc DT8 - CuSat 50s
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 5:34pm
manufacturer is responsible not the retailer....won’t be good PR for Technics if they play hard to get....  
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:13pm
That wobble definitely shouldn’t be there. QC issue?
Expect better from Technics on the flagship TT. 

On a different note some guys on another Hifi forum did a back to back listening test between a very good Garrard 301 and a Technics 1200G

They said they could barely tell the apart!
Given the difference in design that’s most surprising to hear. 
Think carts were Denon DL110 MM on the 1200 and a Denon 103MC on the 301
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Old skool Old skool wrote:

Think carts were Denon DL110 MM

The DL110 is HOMC.

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:26pm
I may well be mistaken then. I thought he said he was using a MM

Dare say I can find out. 
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic