FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Thinking about a 1200G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
JonThurston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonThurston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:26am
I own the Technics but I don't own the wall, hence no shelf.
Technics SL 1200G w/ Oyaide BR12 & STB-MXS - Benz Micro Glider SL - Cyrus Phono Signature w/ PSX-R2 - Rega Elex-R - Icon Audio HP8 Mk2.2 SE - Sennheiser HD800S - ProAc DT8 - CuSat 50s
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:36am
Ah, I assumed as much. 

One would hope a DJ deck would be pretty much immune to sound waves and vibrations?
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
JonThurston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonThurston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 10:53am
The Technics 1200G does seem pretty accomplished in this regard - the damped footers can move laterally as well as vertically, and the constrained layer principle of the chassis with the overall mass I assume must be helping matters (?).

Certainly the 'table is way more impervious than the Rega RP8 I previously had, and the Clearaudio Concept was actually unusable.

Years ago I lived on an old Dutch barge moored on the Thames in central London. I had a cheapo Project Debut Carbon at the time and I must say the river isolated things nicely Big smile

Edited by JonThurston - 28 Jan 2019 at 10:55am
Technics SL 1200G w/ Oyaide BR12 & STB-MXS - Benz Micro Glider SL - Cyrus Phono Signature w/ PSX-R2 - Rega Elex-R - Icon Audio HP8 Mk2.2 SE - Sennheiser HD800S - ProAc DT8 - CuSat 50s
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 12:06pm
floating suspension John?  
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 12:56pm
One thing that corncerns me about swapping the flashy LP12 for
for a 1200G is that it has on inboard PSU. 
Wonder if anyone is making a separate PSU for the 1200G ?
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Old skool Old skool wrote:

One thing that corncerns me about swapping the flashy LP12 for
for a 1200G is that it has on inboard PSU. 
Wonder if anyone is making a separate PSU for the 1200G ?

Many modders were making external PSUs for the classic 1200, so I guess there are for the new 1200G too.

There's a guy in Italy who's a master in doing mods for the 1200 including external PSUs (and I know he's working on the new versions too), and you might certainly do much worse than drop him an e-mail because he really knows his stuff:

That said, on my MKII I have never felt the need for an external PSU....

Edited by Lucabeer - 09 Mar 2019 at 1:44pm
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 10:09pm
The old SL1200 had a linear PSU with a bloody enormous transformer under the platter.
The effect of its vibration at 50Hz, with harmonics at 100Hz, 200Hz etc effected the tracking of the cart.
The effects of the vibration were audible.
Getting the transformer into an external box removed the problem.

The new SL1200 has a tiny transformer, and without the same amplitude vibration.
It doesn't need to have a big transformer, because the onboard PSU is SMPS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic