FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Thinking about a 1200G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

I'm not too sure about it curing your distortion issues.

The 2M Black has a fine line stylus, and sits deeper in the groove  than the conical stylus of your other carts.
The 2M Black is a pain in the arse to set up properly, because it has a fine line stylus.

Have you tried playing an LP at 45rpm?
Does it track OK?
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

I'm not too sure about it curing your distortion issues.

The 2M Black has a fine line stylus, and sits deeper in the groove  than the conical stylus of your other carts.
The 2M Black is a pain in the arse to set up properly, because it has a fine line stylus.

Have you tried playing an LP at 45rpm?
Does it track OK?

The distortion is an LP12 issue.  The Technics 1210s I own have always been great. 
I am thinking about buying a 1200G to replace the LP12 & wanted to swap the 2M Black across. 

Re your question about distortion:
You can play an LP @ 45 with no issues. 
However, if you play one of the 45s that clips @ 33rpm, it still distorts!
Starting to wonder if it is the actual recordings themselves?
Some 45s play just fine since I tweaked the 2 point alignment but the main culprits can sound a bit rough on the DJ system if you turn the gain up. 
I suspect I still have a minor alignment issue on the LP12 but it sounds fabulous playing LPs so there can’t be too much wrong. 
Just annoying that I’m too ignorant to fix it myself. 
Like the idea of a 100% reliable 1200G
I think so....
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:42am
It does look as though the 45s themselves could be a large part of the problem.
You'd probably still have issues with them using the 2M Black an a SL1200G, but with that being the case you could easily switch for one of your other carts.

It could well be that the Shibata stylus in the 2M Black is reaching that far down into the groove that it's pulling information out information that the Nightclub styli can't reach.
Which in turn is why I think a change of TT might not make the problem go away.

Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:45am
Given the choice of a fully tricked out LP12, or a new SL1200G, I'd pick the latter every time.
The LP12 was quite possibly the best marketed TT in history, but by no means was it ever the best performer.
Viral marketing and brainwashing is a lot older than the internet.

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 3:16pm
Burn the heretic!! 

🔥
I think so....
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 3:19pm
Now the L*nn website has closed the Facebook LP12 forum has been swamped with Linnista’s. 🙄

I think so....
JonThurston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonThurston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 4:26pm
Old Skool - hope you don't mind me reviving your 'Thinking About a SL1200 G' thread...

... and posing a question of my own?

Following a brief but frenetic return to vinyl over the last two-years I've just sprung for an SL1200 G - thus far I've not pulled the trigger on a cart.

It will be the front end of my Accession MM - Marantz PM6006 - Monitor Audio Bronze 5 chain (no plans to upgrade the amp or speakers until I've settled on source components).

My listening room (in an 1890s London house) has nice high ceilings but springy wooden floors. Not my house and so wall shelf is not an option. The room is rather bright, to say the least (and the underfloor heating precludes a lot of rug damping).

Brief history: Project Debut Carbon DC/2M Red (worked fine as an intro), Clearaudio Concept/MM (unusable as my floor excited the floppy magnetic tonearm but I liked the sound), Project 2Xperience SB (I must've got one built on a Friday afternoon - 'nuff said), Rega RP8/2M Bronze (I liked the detail but found it on the anaemic side of lean).

I listen through headphones a lot due to young kids at home, so noise/rumble is a thing for me - the RP8 I found rather noisy through HD600s.

I'm open to cart suggestions MM or high output MC.

I'm wary of MI carts due to AC/hum risk with the Technics.

I've noticed a lot of the usual suspects - in theory at least - fall a little shy of 8hz resonance on the stock SL1200 G tonearm (eg. Ortofon 2M, AT VM series, Dynavector 10x5)...

Budget £800 or so...

Technics SL 1200G w/ Oyaide BR12 & STB-MXS - Benz Micro Glider SL - Cyrus Phono Signature w/ PSX-R2 - Rega Elex-R - Icon Audio HP8 Mk2.2 SE - Sennheiser HD800S - ProAc DT8 - CuSat 50s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic