FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Thinking about a 1200G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 4:08pm
When my fully modified SL1200 Mk II dies, I hope to be able to get a 1200G.
I love the simplicity of setting the arm etc.
What I would like to know is if the arm is interchangeable with the SL1200. That way, I could keep my FX1200. Thumbs Up
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Mo-Tech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mo-Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:33pm
SL-1200 mkII will NEVER die. I've seen this many times over and we abused them on different gigs you can't even imagine. The 1200 series is probably the most bomb-proof turntable ever made (along with mkX, GR and G). You will wear out before they do, and you only live once - keep that in mind :)

I agree on the simplicity, all the (weight, VTA, azimuth) adjustment - it's a breeze on the 1200. I've seen no other hi-fi turntable that can replicate this staggering level of ease of use on daily basis - from precisely adjusting it to playing a crazy wide variety of different vinyl formats in lightning-fast operation perspective (7" singles, 10" singles, 12" LPs/singles, 78rpm shellacs). The Technics 1200 series is an avid music-listener's dream come true, literally IMO. Just pick your budget and level - from 1200 mkX, GR to G depending on your budget.

About the fab FX1200 arm. The 1200G magnesium arm (which is stellar btw, especially with KAB hydraulic damper) looks pretty much the same size and mount as MKx arms, but I would not be 100% sure since Technics had to re-make almost everything on the G model. Remember they could only make max 20-30 1200G units per 24h at maximum factory performance - so it's largely a hand-made turntable (in comparison they could make multiple times those numbers by the automated units such as mkX and GR models compared to the G model). All the moulds are new on G, according the Technics technicians only the dust cover, start-stop button and arm lift are the same on G. The rest are completely newly made parts so basically completely new turntable made ground-up. 
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:12pm
So I would need to add in the cost of the FX1200 upgrade as well, if Funk are still trading at that point in time. I believe that the magnesium arm can be improved on.

I am in no hurry to get a "G", as my SL1200 sounds superb. I have also pretty much spent my HiFi budget for the year. Wink

Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Mo-Tech Mo-Tech wrote:

You will wear out before they do, and you only live once - keep that in mind :)

Very true! SL1200/1210 Mk2, and in my case, one bought new and two I refurbished after buying off the bay. Luckily managed to buy NOS arms before they ran out. I find them ever so slightly bright, and maybe an LP12 might better it, but with a lot more faff.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:36am
Great to read the positive comments on the 1200G.
All the TTs I've owned to date have been belt drive & none has quite had the 'grip & drive' of 
digital despite having other qualities. 
Looking forward to listening to a 1200G & how it compares with belt drive's 'softer grip'..

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 7:44am
Took the plunge last week 

AV Online offer the 1200G for £3000 on 0% credit for 24months 

Kinda had to!

I also have a pair of 1210mk2’s which I bought new back in 2006.  They’ll never wear out. 

Wish I’d bought the 1200G instead of the LP12!

Proper end game turntable. 

All the people I know who’ve been chasing the Garrard or L*nn dreams for decades are selling up since buying a 1200G. 

Believe the hype!
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic