FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Here’s a weird fault for you guys...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:09pm
Cheers dude. 

Appreciate the sentiment. 

This could/will go one of 3 ways:

If I get some quality time off of digging holes & fixing people’s houses I will research how to remove the Ittok & headshell. 
If it still doesn’t work after that, well then it had it coming. 

Maybe I’ll take it to a random dealer & get fleeced. 

Or, most likely I’ll try to squeeze some time when I’m already at the end of my tether, royally feck it up then set the rotten swine on fire and dance in the ashes. 

Sometimes thats the only way out. 

✌🏼

I hear Garrard/Lenco’s are good? Maybe that’s the way forward?
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
bass man View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:27pm
I would try a different cart first and see if theres any difference before operating 
Maybe the the shibata is too refined to play 45s 
Just a thought 
paul
am from Yorkshire tha nuz
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:57am
The Shibata stylus tracks 45rpm records just fine.

I have a few 2x45rpm albums.
They're not drum and bass, but they're not necessarily what you'd called audiophile recordings either.
The same principles apply - get greater detail & information by using increased rotational speed, and get maximum signal level by not having the groove so tightly packed.

You're talking the likes of Steven Wilson (To The Bone), Deep Purple (Infinite), Peter Gabriel (Scratch), Jeff Buckley (Grace), Hugh Masakela (Hope), Fleetwood Mac (Rumours), and last but not least, Vincent Bélanger (Pure Cello).

The last one is an audiophile recording, but you'd be surprised at how raw a cello sound at times.

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

The Shibata stylus tracks 45rpm records just fine.

I have a few 2x45rpm albums.
They're not drum and bass, but they're not necessarily what you'd called audiophile recordings either.
The same principles apply - get greater detail & information by using increased rotational speed, and get maximum signal level by not having the groove so tightly packed.

You're talking the likes of Steven Wilson (To The Bone), Deep Purple (Infinite), Peter Gabriel (Scratch), Jeff Buckley (Grace), Hugh Masakela (Hope), Fleetwood Mac (Rumours), and last but not least, Vincent Bélanger (Pure Cello).

The last one is an audiophile recording, but you'd be surprised at how raw a cello sound at times.

I tried a few other genres of 45.  All distorted horribly over the mid-high frequencies. Angry

The only other carts I have here are DJ nightclubs on the 1210s. totally different head shell.  
 Cant see how they could be fitted to an Ittok.

Shame really as I like the punchy/bass of the 2M Black.

I've put out an SOS on a few forums to try & find someone near Tunbridge Wells that could help.

Otherwise it's Utube research & hoping I can find the time/patience/skill to give it a bash. Don't hold ur breath though.

Edited by Old skool - 27 Sep 2018 at 9:24am
I think so....
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 10:23am
Three things I might give a try if further tinkering with alignment yields little or no change:
1 download and print off a strobe disc from vinylengine - use that to check that 45 rpm speed is correct,
2 get a decent headshell like a Jelco HS-25 and fit the 2M to that and try it on the Techie,
3 get a cheap but OK cart like an AT-95 and try that on the tic-toc with 45 rpm play.
Tony G
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 10:39am
Problem I have with that is the headshell retaining screws on the Ittok won’t budge. 
Reckon I could do it if I remove the arm but that’s not something I’ve ever tried before. 
Do not want to feck it up.
I think so....
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 11:22am
What do you mean by the headshell retaining screws ?
It should not be necessary to remove the headshell to remove or replace the cartridge when the arm is not of the removeable headshell type.
Just undo the cartridge clips/leads and the two cartridge mounting bolts and job done.

Edited by tg - 27 Sep 2018 at 11:23am
Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic