FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Here’s a weird fault for you guys...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 4:03pm
Some recordings are classed as hot-pressings especially those intended for "raves". OK, what is the real max out of a Black? 5mV at 1kHz for maximum recorded level doesn't include the spikes missed by the recording engineer and his PPM meters which red-line at +8dB (2.5x), so it can reach 12.5mV.

In fact, the spec for vinyl LPs allows +14dB between 500Hz and 2500Hz (5x) so the maximum it can output is 25mV, but that's on the edge of groove breakover where the stylus tends to "jump" out of the groove (try band 3 of the HFN tracking assault course).

Maybe those 45s were recorded with greater headroom because they have more real-estate to go at? And if so that could be your answer...

Except! It should do the same on the SL1210. And it doesn't?

Arm/cartridge compatibility???

Edited by Graham Slee - 22 Sep 2018 at 4:04pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 6:46pm
Got to be the tiniest of alignment issues. 

Sounds sooo good on 33.3rpm!
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Some recordings are classed as hot-pressings especially those intended for "raves". OK, what is the real max out of a Black? 5mV at 1kHz for maximum recorded level doesn't include the spikes missed by the recording engineer and his PPM meters which red-line at +8dB (2.5x), so it can reach 12.5mV.

In fact, the spec for vinyl LPs allows +14dB between 500Hz and 2500Hz (5x) so the maximum it can output is 25mV, but that's on the edge of groove breakover where the stylus tends to "jump" out of the groove (try band 3 of the HFN tracking assault course).

Maybe those 45s were recorded with greater headroom because they have more real-estate to go at? And if so that could be your answer...

Except! It should do the same on the SL1210. And it doesn't?

Arm/cartridge compatibility???

I did try some other 45rpm singles of a different music genre. 
Same clipping sounds only on the HF. 
Most odd. 
Played a bunch of new LPs all night & it sounded beautiful. 🤔
The arm is an Ittok LV II with an Ortofon 2M Black. All run of the mill stuff no? Nothing esoteric really. 

Talked it through with the greybeards at Sevenoaks HiFi. Reckon it’s got to be an alignment issue. No one seems to have come across this before. 

Well I have invested in the latest HiFi News test/set up disc with lots of instructions & a decent protractor. 
We shall see what we shall see (or hear hopefully!)
Wonder if it’s VTA?? Hopefully I’ll get some ideas about that too. 
Wish me luck.....

Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Old skool Old skool wrote:

Wish me luck.....

Any chance of posting a photo, or even better a video of what's happening at the cartridge end of things?
A side on view with the stylus sat in the groove, like this one

Edited by Chris Firth - 23 Sep 2018 at 10:01am
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 2:13pm
Here's my Hana SH sat upon a record

And here's the cart tracking the same record

Edited by Chris Firth - 23 Sep 2018 at 2:58pm
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Originally posted by Old skool Old skool wrote:

Wish me luck.....

Any chance of posting a photo, or even better a video of what's happening at the cartridge end of things?
A side on view with the stylus sat in the groove, like this one

I’m afraid my hopeless IT skills have so far prevented me from posting pics/vids on the forum. I have tried but all my pics are way too high res. 
I have an extremely short fuse when it comes to that sort of frustration. Been known to hurl PCs out the window & take a sledgehammer to the remains (more than once).
I did build them tho so I felt more angry with myself & lack of software/programming knowledge really. 
Anyway, enough about my BPDs 😳. 
I could email/WhatsApp it to you if that isn’t too much of an imposition?
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:41am
I spent the weekend tweaking the system & playing records. 

Amazing the difference small changes can make such as separating mains cables from interconnects & speaker cables as much as possible. 

Bit of speaker positioning & REL tuning & im super chuffed with the SQ.  Best I’ve ever done!

That’s what is SO weird. Playing LPs with aplomb. 
The distortion on high to mid frequencies @ 45rpm is inexplicable. 

Must be so marginally off kilter. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic