FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Here’s a weird fault for you guys...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:36am
Yes all these esoteric belt drive decks remind me of my old Mazda RX7. Went like the clappers & was admired wherever it went. However I required constant fettling & regularly stranded me at the side of the road. Really was pretty & sounded amazing though. Ahhhh I miss it....

Anyway, I think a Technics based deck or a 1200GR maybe the way forward.  This L*nn is a fine sounding deck. Very refined with an wide open soundstage & clarity the likes of which I’ve never had before.  Just feel I’m not knowledgeable enough to run a high maintenance deck. Don’t like things I can’t service/modify myself. 
I have had a pair of Technics 1210s for 15 odd years & they just work. The same, every time. No tweaking necessary. Ever. 

Edited by Old skool - 22 Sep 2018 at 8:37am
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:42am
My 45s are mostly 12” dance music. Challenging peaks. 

The odd 7” but they wouldn’t be dance music. 
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 9:25am
The phono pre will be fine with 5mv output.

Give Robert a call - he knows the deck better than anyone else.

I would drop that tracking force down to between 1.5 to 1.6 grammes - I don't think it's a good idea to run a cart at the top end of its tracking range.
From what I've read about the 2M Black it's a bit of a fussy bugger with respect to setup.

Edited by Chris Firth - 22 Sep 2018 at 9:27am
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Old skool Old skool wrote:

Yes all these esoteric belt drive decks remind me of my old Mazda RX7. Went like the clappers & was admired wherever it went. However I required constant fettling & regularly stranded me at the side of the road. Really was pretty & sounded amazing though. Ahhhh I miss it....

Anyway, I think a Technics based deck or a 1200GR maybe the way forward.  This L*nn is a fine sounding deck. Very refined with an wide open soundstage & clarity the likes of which I’ve never had before.  Just feel I’m not knowledgeable enough to run a high maintenance deck. Don’t like things I can’t service/modify myself. 
I have had a pair of Technics 1210s for 15 odd years & they just work. The same, every time. No tweaking necessary. Ever. 

There's a lot to be said for that last bit.

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 9:43am
looking into a 1200GR
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 12:05pm
The 2M Black puts out a high-ish 5mv. 

The Rev M can take up to 46mv according to the specs. 
Gain is high ish though isn’t it @ 41db. 

Wonder if that’s why its clipping??

Adjusted the input trim on the AVR850 from 2v RMS to maximum of 4v. Even adjusted the EQ (down) on the Rev. 
Made no difference. 

Will swap phono stages when I get home & see if it’s a mismatch. 
Hope not. It’s all new!
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 2:44pm
Right then! (Rolls sleeves up)

It’s not the Rev M. At least, it clips ta fook on the the Gram Amp 2se as well. 

Been all over the forums asking for advice.  Some say some pre amps and cartridges just don’t work together. 
However, this is a fairly standard set up. Neither has unusually high gain or voltage. 

Also, how could it sound great at 33rmp but awful playing the same stuff at 45rpm??!
An alignment issue perhaps?
Not my area of expertise but I’ll give it a bash!

That 1200GR is looking better all the time...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic