FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Here’s a weird fault for you guys...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 5:59am
Originally posted by audiopip audiopip wrote:

The other thing you might want to try is upping the bias and/or the tracking weight slightly. On the P******t 9CC arm I ran the tracking weight at 2g and the bias was raised to a figure more suitable for 3g tracking weight by cutting a new slot for the bias weight. The other thing I did was to buy a cheapy AT95 cartridge to try to prove I was not going nuts. Despite having a more laid back tonal presentation (as you might expect for the priceWink) this proved that the fault lay in the cartridge and/or arm combination rather than any setup failings. In the end I swopped the Ortofon for a Nagaoka and the issue was resolved. 

Good post...

Years ago Ortofon had an unenviable reputation for HF harshness and I remember them selling inline sockets which you'd plug into the mag input, and then plug the TT into them. They contained an additional 220pF capacitor, which brought the MM peak well down in frequency, made it bigger so it sounded mid-forward, and decimated the upper treble. "Hi-Fi Answers" thought it was great!...LOL

Although the Black is my cartridge of choice, I don't play 45s using it, and it's on a SL1200. I tried the Bronze on an RP3/Jelco and felt that was a bit harsh too.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 8:24am
The 2M Black is sounding sweet n smooth with very low noise floor at the moment on the LP12 (after much shouting, throwing things & alignment tweaks)

Of course I have a Revelation M so I can just trim the HF by 5 or 13.5 db if I find the recording too sharp.
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
audiopip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiopip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 4:32am
Thanks! And glad you fixed it! Seems Ortfon have a few QA issues these days. When I can afford it Imay try the 2 M Black again.

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 8:02am
Dunno if I’ve comprehensively fixed it. Still clips on certain discs but sounds great 95% of the time
I think so....
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 8:32am
The 5% being D&B 45 cuts?

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 8:44am
Nope. It’s mainly worn 60s records or 50s Jazz that I tend to trim the HF on. 
Less hiss/crackles
I think so....
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 9:06am
Perhaps the 2M Black is just a little too truthful for some records or recordings.
As mentioned by someone earlier in the thread, Ortofon used to provide extra capacitance in the form of a clip in chip between the cartridge terminals. This "tamed" the top end a little if the interconnects or amp did not provide enough capacitance. It's easier to add a little more than remove it.

Glad to learn you solved the problem.

Happy Listening 
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic