FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Here’s a weird fault for you guys...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 11:51am
It's gone all quiet on this thread.
Doth the L*nn man still cometh?
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 3:39pm
Nah, phoned him last week. He said he’d get back but never did. 

Don’t want to pester the guy so nothing doing at the mo. 
It was slightly out with the 2 point alignment which I believe I have corrected. 
Also bit better after a thorough stylus clean. 
Bought a silly tiny round spirit level which says it’s bang on for what that’s worth. 
Plinth is level. 
Still clips when playing certain 45s. 

Sounds super playing LPs so nuts to it for now. 
I’ve had other less frustrating toys to play with recently. 

Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 8:58am
However, I have a nagging feeling that there is more that could be squeezed out of this TT (probably the system as a whole to be honest) in the hands of an expert!

I am well pleased with the REL sub integration after properly setting it up for the fittest time in the new house (only moved in 13 years ago 😳).

That has spurred me on to look again at the LP12.  It may be bang on? Does sound good. Maybe some GS interconnects for Christmas would help. 
I’ll admit that the HiFi News year LP hasn’t been out of the sleeve. 
Was waiting for the L*nn Guru who never came.  
Oh well have to roll up my sleeves at the weekend & see if any of it makes sense to this dimwit. 
Wish me luck...
I think so....
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 9:02am
By the way, I was torquing down my drive units as u do when I decided to take a look inside. 
Do all “HiFi” loudspeakers use crimp on spade connectors??
Why do we bother with fancy interconnects & speaker cable when the final connection has been botched on Halfords style??

What the fudge??!!

Should I get out the soldering iron??
I think so....
audiopip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiopip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 1:41am
The 2M Black is, in my experience, not a great tracker. The higher velocities on 45rpm records may just push it over the edge. Just a thought...!
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 4:03am
Upped my VTA. Seemed to help a bit. Still clipping....
Had a play with the Test Record but it showed me nothing as I’ve no idea what it’s supposed to sound like! I have no comparison. 
Useless. 🤬
I think so....
audiopip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiopip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 5:13am
The other thing you might want to try is upping the bias and/or the tracking weight slightly. On the P******t 9CC arm I ran the tracking weight at 2g and the bias was raised to a figure more suitable for 3g tracking weight by cutting a new slot for the bias weight. The other thing I did was to buy a cheapy AT95 cartridge to try to prove I was not going nuts. Despite having a more laid back tonal presentation (as you might expect for the priceWink) this proved that the fault lay in the cartridge and/or arm combination rather than any setup failings. In the end I swopped the Ortofon for a Nagaoka and the issue was resolved. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic