FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New member testing the ULDE with HD800S

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TheHighNotes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheHighNotes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member testing the ULDE with HD800S
    Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:36pm
First of all I would like to say hello as I just joined this forum a few days ago having read some positive comments about the Graham Slee ULDE headphone amp.

I have been into Hifi for many years mainly listening through a speaker based system. I recently bought the HD800S and am still looking for the perfect amp/DAC combination. I never tried a Graham Slee product so I thought I would take the opportunity to loan the ULDE - thanks to Fatmangolf who made this possible within a short period of time!

My system currently consists of: Qobuz (Acer Swift 3 laptop) > Chord Qutest > Audeze Deckard > Sennheiser HD800S

I like the Deckard as a very nice all in one box but since I bought a separate DAC I am looking for a separate amp with a smaller footprint.

First impressions when I opened the box consisting of ULDE and PSU1 - the amp is surprisingly small which is nice to see as it will not take much space in a small living room.

I received the unit yesterday and am still familiarising myself with it. However, first impressions are very positive. A nice and warm but detailed sound (almost tubey) with a real groove to it. I am struggling to take my headphones off and can listen to the ULDE for hours without getting any listening fatigue. The highs seem a little polite (certainly compared to the Deckard) but again to me this adds to it being very easy to listen to over extended periods of time.

So far I have tried a variety of genres with it including jazz, country and classical music and I think this is a very good allrounder. The sound is nice and full and does not seem to lack even at low volumes which suits me as I like usually don't crank up the volume. I really like how female vocals in particular sound through the ULDE, very sweet!

I shall be reporting back after a few more days but I think this is a very impressive little amp, surprising how big the sound is from such a nice small unit.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:21am
Welcome Frank,
I use the ULDE with HD800S & find it to be an extremely revealing & detailed combination,
with detail not picked up on through speaker listening easily heard.
It is a good all round combination that thrives on good recordings - bad recordings have
no place to hide.
I tend to listen to a lot of classical music with this combo. It also has great dynamic ability
with 'slam & impact' when the recording demands it.

Edited by RichW - 03 Sep 2018 at 11:22am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Fernando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fernando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 6:17pm
Welcome Frank Thumbs Up
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:59pm
Frank? Are you still with us? Any further thoughts or observations? Or have you fallen down a Graham Slee coloured rabbit hole of musical goodness, never to return?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:53am
Welcome back Fernando and I too hope Frank will be updating us on his latest listening experiences.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHighNotes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 4:50pm
Hi and thanks all for the nice welcome!

I have to say since I initially posted the ULDE has very much grown on me. I can only describe the sound as big, detailed and immersive. The sound seems to have opened up even more with the unit being constantly connected to power.

There hasn't been a single recording that I would say sounded poorly with the combination of ULDE and HD800S.

The sound is very transparent, open and clear across the whole spectrum without ever being fatiguing.

I have enjoyed classical music and the excellent imaging of instruments just as much as Pop, Rock, Folk or Jazz music.

The bass goes deep and has real punch to it. As I mentioned initially the highs are a little more laid back compared to my previous gear but it really makes the listening experience more enjoyable for longer sessions.

I have discovered new details in my favourite recordings whilst at the same time enjoying the musicality and not getting into an overcritical mode.

I love the fact that the ULDE has such a small footprint and I would not want to miss it going forward - in fact I now have one on order!

The ULDE has been just what I was looking for and I think it is a great value proposition.

Best wishes
Frank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHighNotes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 5:06pm
A few pictures of my set up to go along with my impressions:

imagine upload
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic