FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Stylus microscope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 9:12pm
If it works, why not. Do you know how much zoom that gives you and are you looking at the stylus head on?

I should point out that I have only just got the USB microscope viewer and found the optical microscope worked well on about 200x, enough to be looking at the tip of the stylus to see warning signs. Although I've seen some interesting merged images taken at higher magnifications I can see that depth of field becomes an issue and gets away from the approach in the Shure manual.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jango View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 3:47pm
It's 120x before using any digital zoom. I can get quite close to head on with the arm on its rest, though I haven't figured out how best to precisely determine the angle. When setting the azimuth, getting head on when the stylus is in a groove is more difficult, at least at the same level of magnification, but there are other tools to help in that process.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 5:51pm
Ah you're using the microscope to look at the shank straight to set azimuth on as some do from the side to set the stylus rake angle. I'm examining the tip of the stylus for wear with the cartridge off the arm and using a higher magnification. Both good but different uses of a microscope

Edited by Fatmangolf - 07 Sep 2018 at 10:54pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 11:03am
Sorry I haven't updated this blog. It has been a busy week at work including yesterdayand I plan to get out walking today to enjoy the daylight before the nights draw in and the clocks go back!

My next steps are to fit the gooseneck lighting and try the higher magnifications so I can post some photos. I have ordered a mechanical stage that should come later this month.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 11:42am
It's Freshers Week here but I have worked out how to fix the microscope stage to the stage lifting column in my microscope. Just drill and countersink one hole but need to temporarily remove the stage's XY knobs. I will also cut off and file back extrusions that are not needed. This will reduce the weight and more importantly make it fit the existing microscope. I will mask the various pinions and threads first for obvious reasons.

The mini-gooseneck LED's should fit easily to the lower part of the base and I will connect the wires to the lower light of the microscope. That allows me to use the microscope's internal batteries, switching and dimmer.

Experience has shown that that reviewing the plan and re-measuring before cutting saves a lot of grief so I will pick this up later.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:47pm
I have test fitted the stage and it worked well on XY but needs to be refitted higher up. My initial testing of the two LED stalks was positive and I will return to it soon.
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 10:21pm
Another week has gone by and I haven't had a chance to move this forwards. I will try to do so this weekend with apologies to anyone who is interested!

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic