FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

MY ERA GOLD IMPRESSIONS...and MEMBER INPUT MISC.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gsieg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gsieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MY ERA GOLD IMPRESSIONS...and MEMBER INPUT MISC.
    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 2:17pm
After a week of serious listening to the Era Gold...I'm quite impressed.  Bruce has been a huge help with the US loaner program.

It seems the most noticeable thing is in the detail ...not just of the individual instruments (in orchestral recordings)...but the ambiance of the recording environment.  Effortless and natural.

Now my dilemma is the desire to audition the Reflex M.  I'm going to do that before I decide.

I could not be more pleased with how Graham and his team work together to make this a great experience.

Now I would like some feedback from customers in the US on ordering direct from Graham and Hi Fi system components...any glitches with respect to US delivery...taxes and fees....etc...

Also would like members thoughts on a stylus/cartridge upgrade.  I am especially interested in anyone in the US who has used an Ortofon 2M bronze...my current stylus.  I don't need to upgrade yet...but when I do ...what would members recommend I consider in the $600-$750 US dollar range.
MM of course...for a VPI Scout Jr. turntable.

A better Ortofon...or other brands...

Greg Siegfried
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 7:40pm
Thanks for your review Greg. I'll leave it to US based forum members to respond on your enquiries.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:19am
hi Greg,
  I’m not in the US, but I’ll pitch in anyway. I hope you don’t mind. When I craved an upgrade from my 2M Bronze, I listened to a few MM carts from Clearaudio, as price wise they we the next easy available step up price wise. A different flavor of sound I didn’t warm too, sadly. My local dealer at the time cautioned against the 2M Black, as he felt it far too bright and overly sensitive to dirt and quality of pressing. He even played one for me on the end of the same ‘table I have, a Rega RP8. He was correct! However, he then changed back to the Bronze for comparison, and I found it far edgier than I did at home (he assured me it was fully run in). Seeing as though the front end and speakers were the same as at home, I figured it had to be down to the electronics between them.
I took a punt and ordered the 2M Black replacement stylus and put it in the Bronze body. After a full run in I was gobsmacked at the extra detail on offer, bigger soundstage, better colours, wider dynamics; all round it was obviously superior. And what’s more, not bright! This was on my Reflex M. I’m convinced the Reflex made the absolute most of that stylus.
That combo did me for quite some time until I went MC.
So maybe the best $600-$700 upgrade only costs $575?
All the best
Mick.

Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
jango View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:18pm
The Reflex M is truly fantastic with the Soundsmith VPI Zephyr. I ordered a certified rebuilt Zephyr from Elusive Disc late last year for $600 to put on my VPI Aries, and I absolutely love it. It just requires a little patience for the right deal to pop up.
cncman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cncman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:06am
Hi Greg,

Like Aussie Mick, I'm running the Ortofon 2M Black with the Reflex M.
Up until very recently, I had been using the Gram Amp 2 SE but after loaning the Reflex M from Jon (in the UK) I decided that the Reflex with PSU1 was the way to go.
I don't really know why, but I expected the Reflex to deliver clearer highs with not much difference in the lower range. I must admit that I was very surprised when 'everything' appeared a lot clearer with a much wider soundstage, with the lows of the drums & the bass guitar were so clear that you could point directly at that member of the band.
The acid test however was when I swopped back the amp without the wife knowing!
Almost immediately, she questioned what I had done to the system and asked why her favourite music now sounded 'flat'. She said that it sounded like 'some of the band members had gone to lunch'.LOL
Anyway, I'm now the owner of a Reflex M and loving every minute of it.

Regards,
Steve.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:13am
Congratulations Steve! When I borrowed a Reflex M I remember it was like getting a new record collection.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic