FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Newbie Hello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Dotwop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dotwop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie Hello
    Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 7:56am
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Darin Edwards and I currently live in Jersey, Channel Islands, originally from South Africa. I have always been into music, along with my dad, who had an awesome Naim system until his house burnt down in South Africa.
I have only recently started getting into vinyl again having purchased a Sony PS-HX500 turntable. I have a set of Polk Audio RTi A7 floor standers and a Yamaha RXV672 amp. A pretty middle of the range setup, but it sounds good to me and thats the most important thing.
The Sony has a built in preamp, but I am considering getting an external preamp to improve things.
Cheers
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 2:24pm
Hello & welcome (fairly new here myself tbh).

Dude, you MUST get a separate pre amp if you like ur vinyl!

Best upgrade I ever did was buy a Gram Amp 2SE,15 odd years ago for my Rega P3. 

Transforms it completely. Night & day. 

Just upgraded to a Revelation M. Literally hearing it for the first time as I type this into my phone!!

Crikey it’s GOOD!  Mind you the old one still sings. 
Amazing for the money.  I wouldn’t look anywhere else mate. You’ve found it. 

I have family in Muizenburg btw 👍🏼

Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Dotwop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dotwop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 3:08pm
Howzit Tim,
Thanks for the info boet. I am dying to try one out, in fact I have asked Jon if I can borrow one on the loan scheme to see if it suits my system at all. I have a sister that lives in Cape Town near Kenilworth Race Course. Lakka place. Im from PE originally, spent most of my life there. Im grateful for your reply, I am once again excited to try and get a preamp
Darin

PS if you have upgraded, are you going t sell your Gram Amp?
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 4:00pm
Hi Darin

I was out in Cape Town end of Feb/ early March this year.  Still got the tan!  Mind you, it's hotter here in Kent now!

Re my old Gram Amp, I kinda promised it to a mate who's bang into his vinyl but still uses the built-in phono stage on his amp (BIG no no).

He won't shell out for one cos he thinks his integrated amp is pretty good so should have a good phono stage (seriously, it cant be, sharing a power supply & sitting inside an amplifier).

Really just giving it to him to prove a point.  You'd never go back once you've heard the difference.

My old one would be considered a budget product but I think it punches well above it weight.
Yeah, the new Revelation M is better. Next level Sh*t.  To be fair, I've only just plugged the new one in & they take 72hrs to warm up.  Sounding better by the minute.
However, they cost £740 + a £155 power supply if you want the best out of it.  Think the old one was more like £170 back in the day.  Real giant killer.

Honestly don't think you'll be disappointed with any of Graham Slee's gear.  Love the ethos too.
Where else can actually speak to the guy who designed & but it??
 I shall be after some of their cables as soon as budget allows (just spent most of our savings on a supercharger kit for my old E46 M3. Try explaining that to the Mrs!).

Too many projects, not enough time & money.  Arrghhhh!
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 8:50pm
Thanks for joining us Darin, I've just replied to your PM and should be able to arrange your loan. Comparing to your existing stage is the best way to assess the options.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:28pm
Welcome to the party Darin.
A stand alone phono amp will be an improvement over almost any integrated, especially if it's one of Grahams designs.
I hope you enjoy the loan amp, let us know how you get on.

Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 7:31pm
Another welcome from me, Darin. Enjoy your loan amp!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic