FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 345>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 12:17pm
"Will you ever consider this amp good enough for release Graham?"

Before I answer, let me state that in all my reading and research, not one designer has ever discussed leaving one of their designs permanently on to see if they change in any way - absolutely nobody! Therefore I wouldn't trust their opinions as far as I could throw them. And as for the twerp who said that an amplifier would be worn out after being left on 2000 hours, would that be cumulative?

Anyway, back to my answer:

All I can say is I hope so, but some "force" prevents me attaching my name to something which won't entertain. After-all, an audio amplifier is supposed to serve that purpose, no matter what the distortion freaks say.

Having been brought up in the valve era - I was an impressionable 6 year old in 1961 - I can understand why many felt the transistor was inferior.

The saturday afternoon matinees at the local flicks could never have used a transistor amp at the time: 1. they weren't powerful enough; and 2. picture house wasn't rich enough to replace its valved equipment.

It has to be admitted; the cheap Japanese transistor amps I remember from my youth did not operate flat: they had tone controls, and they were made use of in making them sound right.

In disco, the sound was always EQ'd for the best sound.

I have to admit, that I was never satisfied by a transistor amp operated flat - without tone controls - and spent more hours tweaking than listening.

The Proprius has been the only transistor amplifier I've been able to listen with without EQ, but then again, the modern switched-mode power supply and balanced input "preamp" made it "a valve amp" anyway.

You only need to frequent the forums to get the opinion that transistor amps are bright, but some are obviously forgiven for fear of offending fanboys.

It's the same in the HiFi press, where two identical designs are judged differently; and they get away with it because there are only two or three people in the country capable of reading circuit diagrams!

So why bother with doing things the "right way"? A 5% distortion valve amp is forgiven because it sounds "right", but a 1% transistor amp is condemned.

This lengthy introduction is to announce my last modification, made in frustration, which was to try and EQ out the obvious transistor brightness.

It is quite obvious that the race for wider and wider bandwidth along with staggering amounts of negative feedback at 20 kHz just takes the piss, and that transistors are about as stable as an upside-down house. Let's stop making excuses for them.

Transistors are OK for preamps. They work extremely well and can sound far better than valves, but transistors can't do power well (because it involves high voltages), even if you string hundreds together.

Stop forcing them to do what they obviously cannot do. They don't do highs. Capacitance is the reason. The valve guys knew about capacitance and made pentodes to get over the problem. Where are the pentode transistors? Correct! They couldn't be bothered.

So what's the mod? A 22 pf collector to base capacitor on T1. I'd like to go higher but we're into a tricky situation where I can't see which part is included within the NFB and which isn't. In other words it can be modelled as stable, and unstable, depending on your point of view.

Ain't it funny how the Willamson never burst into oscillation with its zero phase margin? Didn't seem to matter with valves...
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 3:01pm
Then there's another way to compensate which is to place a capacitor across T1's collector resistor, which with the "current feedback" compensation (T2 collector to T1 emitter), just about obliterates gain margin concerns, being over 60dB.

T2 no longer needs miller compensation, and there is no need for the 22 pF I mentioned last post.

This compensation is often used in valve amplifiers on the input valve's anode resistor, and is also used on the NE5534/5532 op amps.

Will it improve the sound?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 8:37am
This additional compensation tries to counter the drooping phase and spin it out further and in simulation it can be as high as 2GHz before it reaches 180 degrees, where gain margin is a massive 80dB.

All emitter followers are oscillators "in waiting". Output stage parasitics can and will lead to negative impedance. According to Chessman and Sokal in 1976 (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/noise-on-emitter-follower/?action=dlattach;attach=348962) the oscillation self-limits to around 1 volt, but that 1 volt might use up gain margin, and in a negative feedback amplifier (such as this) might be sufficient to give a longer burst of oscillation.

Any stimulus, which a disturbance can cause - such as the disturbance which is the audio signal itself - can cause this to happen. If the disturbance is constant - for example: playing music - then it can happen for its duration, resulting in a tinny sound.

In the first truly audio op-amp, the TDA1034 (page 105: ftp://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/components/philips/_dataBooks/1976_Philips_Semiconductors_and_Integrated_Circuits_Part_5a_Professional_Analogue_ICs.pdf) we can see the compensation I refer to as C1 (top left of circuit diagram). The TDA1034 launched in 1976, and is now the NE5534.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 3:11pm
Hoping for final convergence, the amplifier is now as close to Otala's design considerations as I've been able to get it. Prior to this I think I heard the transient intermodulation bursts Otala referred to, but otherwise it sounded reasonably good.

As per the last post, lead compensation by an RC network across T1's collector resistor provides an advance in phase above the zero crossing frequency, which increases gain margin.

Lag compensation is provided by a capacitor across the local negative feedback resistor between T2's collector and T1's emitter*.

Simulation shows phase never exceeds about -175 degrees and that is at about 1GHz. Below that it dips to about -145 degrees at 75MHz; and at -20dB it never exceeds -110 degrees.

At zero crossing (0dB) phase is -102 degrees, which should the amplifier phase reach -180 degrees under unforeseen circumstances, gives a 78 degree phase margin.

-90 degrees is usually aimed for, but the chosen compensation component values are also intended to limit the slew induced transient intermodulation, as detailed by Otala (AES Journal Vol. 20; No5; 1972).

The open-global-loop upper cutoff frequency extends to about 20kHz, which is the usual upper frequency limit of the audio signal, which fulfils the main design objective for the elimination of transient intermodulation distortion.

The amount of global negative feedback is about 20dB which Otala considered to be optimum for the type of technology used.

*Miller capacitance lag compensation is not used.

The main difference being that the "all-NPN" class-A voltage amplifier swaps Otala's "PNP-NPN" lag-lead compensation for lead-lag compensation. Lead-lag compensation of the type used here was often used for stability in valve amplifiers.

Edited by Graham Slee - 22 Sep 2019 at 3:12pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 11:33am
So far not showing previous signs of divergence. Next few days should be interesting.
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 4:54pm
I am curious. Ermm
Are your 'permanently on' tests with music permanently playing?
If so, wouldn't the level be important, particularly for the power stage of the amp and the psu?

Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by peterb peterb wrote:

I am curious. Ermm
Are your 'permanently on' tests with music permanently playing?
If so, wouldn't the level be important, particularly for the power stage of the amp and the psu?

No, the amp is left on, as it would be if its owner forgot to switch it off, which is a possibility.

It gets "played" most days for varying periods, and it might be quietly, and on other occasions as loud as my sound proofing will allow.

After studying Otala's AES paper in greater detail until I fully understood one of his particular explanations, the penny dropped regarding miller compensation. I shall be avoiding it like the plague in future, due to its asymmetry, and now I can see why those who use it push the values as small as possible to get its action far out of the way of the audio band. Global NFB though, means it is still an effective source of audible distortion.

Open-loop, as Otala said, should ideally be flat to 20kHz or more, but this cannot happen in a conventional amplifier unless the class-A stage has local NFB. Luckily this can be applied with this configuration.

Translating Otala's compensation from the Philips configuration to the one I'm using, swaps lag/lead compensation to lead/lag. This forces a steeper roll down below unity gain crossing without rapidly losing phase.

Closest component values were found using simulation trial and error and these were installed some days ago.

Currently the sound is the best it has been. Although no changes at DC have been made, the standing current changed, and so I can only assume the meter was averaging some very high frequency instability, which both I and my guest tester had been unable to see.

Differences between channels are much less now, and the third harmonic at 1W was minimised by standing current adjustment, and "shockingly" when measured, is just 15mA. The resisdual, which indicates crossover distortion changes very little and with 100x magnification is a reasonably flat line.

My guess right now is that the power transistors are quite susceptible to parasitic oscillation, and the phase lead compensation might have addressed this by extending gain margin considerably, minimising the parasitic effect. My problem is not being able to see this on the test gear because I'm unable to filter out all the ambient garbage which seems to live at the frequencies of intererst. Filter it out and you filter out the parasitics. So we are in imagination land.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 345>
  Share Topic