FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 345>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:40pm
Can you expand on the 12MHz please? I'm not sure what you mean, or it could be me having a lapse of memory.

The anode or plate bending technique looks interesting but I couldn't get any combination to improve on what the amp simulation does. In case I wasn't understanding the "one-third" rule of thumb I tried it both ways round. It pulls gain down and then lets it peak before decaying, but unfortunately it doesn't meet unity before starting back towards the peak. The decay beyond the peak is then quite steep taking it beyond 180 degrees.

I think that seeing I've just about exhausted every known stabilisation technique (and myself), I ought to take a look at the power supply. Maybe I should snub away bridge rectifier switch-off parasitics? I think I've seen the occasional sporadic burst on the scope, but so far I didn't consider such events to produce the results I've been getting. Maybe I'm wrong (and happy to admit it if it results in a cure)? I can only safely place a 0.1uF across the transformer secondaries in the existing prototype. Let's hope it's sufficient.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:12pm
page 42(the answer to everything )18 Jan, the green trace with a sharp peak at 12 megs.
What I was wondering about was/is if the peak waveform was rectified by the nonlinearity of the output stage( anode bend detector)
Perhaps the above is more of a 4am fantasy?
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:39pm
Hey, no fantasy! I'm always happy to receive educated suggestions. And I now see the 12MHz peak with zero compensation you're referring to, and it's good to have your involvement. I think this topic will have looked at as many different types of stability compensation as any good textbook. It's worth discussing to see what it does.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:27pm
I wondered if the 12meg peak is getting rectified and then modulating the sound.
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:57pm
Although it's academic because when I tried it, it was perfectly stable until given signal (from the AP - a quite small signal), it blew the fuses, I can model it in simulation, and did. I think I'd be up all night trying to find a balance point if indeed there is one. When you think about it, the idea is for a radio frequency detector which also filters out the carrier. I have a sneaking suspicion it is intended to oscillate.

I will agree it (the amp in its many different guises) is doing something at HF, which no extent of simulation modelling can reveal, or I think it would have by now (it's around 3 months).

It could be argued that the configuration is wrong, and if it is then why does the Proprius based on the same configuration behave impeccably left constantly on for months if not more than a year?

Within the first 30 hours of (this version) being on, after the slightest of modifications, the sound is incredibly good, but at 60 hours it fails to appeal. Perhaps the Proprius design is not scaleable? But I cannot accept that.

The only other difference is the power supply, and I would have thought a linear supply superior, but perhaps the filtering of a SMPS prevents ?whatever is happening?

Edited by Graham Slee - 27 Mar 2019 at 8:59pm
Farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:39pm
Probably a very daft question but can you use a Proprius PSU on the bench (or two?) to bypass the current linear PSU and see if there’s any difference ? 
Might just help sort out if it’s a PSU driven change...

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:29pm
Not daft at all! We were considering obtaining two 36V 4A switchers (to put in series for 72V) earlier today, but thinking about it, we'd better have four as each amp is "individually" supplied.

I forgot to add that I also tried the Proprius power supply inductor (20uH) and series resistor (0R33) just prior to the final reservoir/smoothing cap, but that made no difference.

Oh, and also limiting input high frequencies with a passive filter that's -3dB at 50kHz... no difference.

Last mod around 30 hours ago was a 0.1uF mains rated filter cap across both bridge rectifier "inputs" (each that is). It is subjected to 50V rms nominal, but rated for 230V rms continuous as an "input filter". We shall see (hear).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 345>
  Share Topic