FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 296297298299300 345>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:12am
Review time...

The cleanest, flatest, squarest, individually bagged and sealed 1050 grade 1.2mm thick aluminium sheets you will ever find!

Apart from - that is - it doesn't seem to have a protective film on one side. But then again, they don't advertise it has.

And at only £3 a sheet!!!

That's RS purchasing power for ya!

With anybody else you get inaccurately cut trapezoid sheets that have been stuck to the underside of factory workers boots, and used to skate around the factory floor, just to give it that extra level of ****ed upedness. Great gouges just where you want to place your scriber, which no amount of engineers blue can help you with.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 3:43pm
Thought I'd post a video to show some progress...

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 9:08am
Looking good 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 11:31pm
Warco/Grizzly 300mm/12" bench top guillotine. Accuracy of cut using the RS 1050 grade 1.2mm thick aluminium sheets.

Bench top guillotine blades come together at an angle, so they start cutting at one end and finish cutting after the leading edge is already through. It's a bit like scissor action, but the angle is much more shallow.

They therefore have a tendency to try and rotate the metal as it's being cut, and it's something I've been aware of since I used to fabricate printed circuit boards.

The Warco/Grizzly doesn't have a spring loaded clamp to hold the metal down. These help resist the rotation but don't always work.

Therefore, the only way of controlling the metal is to clamp it to the front tray, aligning it with the engraved rulers either side of the tray.

But with what should I clamp it?

Much research later and I found the Kreg 76mm/3" Wood Project Clamp with Automaxx was the lesser of all evils. I bought two.

Those, when used with a piece of flat wood (9mm plywood in my case) that is about 50mm wide by just short of 300mm long, allowed me to clamp the aluminium sheet for an 80mm wide cut.

The resulting piece is 300mm by 80mm and is for the front and rear panels which fit behind the routed case openings (see earlier video).

The internal height is 81mm, plus or minus whatever the accuracy Ryan can achieve, so I thought 80mm would be the best bet.

So, after much clamping and unclamping and clamping again, I managed to get the aluminium sheet in accurate alignment with the 80mm engravings and decided to go for a cut, but stopped, and decided it would be better having the longest piece at the front.

The sheets are 200mm wide, so I set it all back up for a 120mm cut. The 80mm offcut being the bit I wanted.

This time I went and pulled the levers down and it effortlessly cropped through.

A quick ruler measurement showed a little inaccuracy, and the engineers square showed something like 0.5mm out of square.

Having 120mm left and requiring the same size for a front panel for the eventual preamp, I decided to do what I was going to do in the first place, and set it up for 80mm on the front tray.

Half way through the cut, the levers and other parts of the blade mechanism contacted the clamps!

All I could do was hope the blades would hold the metal in place while I unclamped and re-clamped to get enough clearance.

I then finished the cut.

So, with all this palaver - it is a very awkward (but cheap) guillotine - how accurate were the results?

The first piece measures 80.45 at one end and 80.13 at the other.

The second piece measures 79.98 at one end and 79.64 at the other.

So, my accuracy is +0.45/-0.36 mm.

Not forgetting the 0.5mm out of squareness, which over 80mm, suggests the sheet was supplied about 1mm out of square (i.e. slightly lozenged).

I'd be far more comfortable with +/- 0.25mm, but I guess it's not bad for hobby machinery and the faff of using it.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 3:29pm
It was a trifle difficult to silk screen the "by appointment to" logo onto items of what we now call vintage manufactures.

Even in monochrome there were those fiddly lines in which inks would dry into the mesh without warning, resulting in a scrap panel and all the pains of reworking.

In addition, the screen inks were still in their infancy compared to what we have available (so long as you buy in bulk and spend a ruddy fortune) today.

Epoxy two pack curing inks as well as UV curing inks are somewhat of a "new" invention (1970s).

So, how did they do it?

Waterslide transfers!

Now, you'll just have to take my word for it, seeing as there are very few 1950s electronics around in their original condition, but as Max Boyce would say, I was there.

It wasn't in the 1950s however. It was in the 1970s when we had to make the best of 1950s equipment because of a thing called "the cuts".

And it wasn't just the "by appointment" that was done in waterslide, and some equipment wasn't "by appointment" anyway, but a lot of the panel printing was done by waterslide transfers. If you looked very carefully you could see a faint outline surrounding each bit of printing.

The DIYer has always had difficulty in obtaining that professional printed panel appearance. And yes, I know there are places where you can send your file, and a few days later a professional looking panel turns up on your doorstep.

But you didn't do that yourself!

We had Letraset and polyurethane varnish, but it didn't really cut the mustard.

But today, thanks to model makers, waterslide transfers can be made at home, provided you have a computer and a printer.

So I'll be trying that.  Sleepy

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 4:59pm
And here's how this guy does it...

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 11:28pm
Amp box rear

We're making this prototype/tester unit out of 5 year old reclaimed 18mm MDF and the top and bottom is new 9mm MDF.

Due to the old MDF being dusty and not as hard as it was (it served as shelving for HiFi System Components), the glue-up isn't as neat as it could be, plus we ought to have a set of four Bessey 600mm clamps, but have you seen the price!

Amp rear panel - MDF prototype

Here it's stood on top of another project we're working on.

The 12mm 45 degree chamfer really opens up the rear panel space, so it will be far less fiddly to get at the speaker terminals, HT fuses and RCA input sockets than the deeper openings I showed a few weeks back.

When I say, "we're working on it" I mean I'm doing it as an unpaid hobby. And yes it is obsession, but it serves another purpose.

After a three years C&G diploma course in which Ryan passed, this is his first time working to high standards of wood machining. OK, he worked at a local joinery manufacturing shop and that was his first time working with actual machinery (they don't let them use machinery on the C&G!), and so I've taken it on myself to teach him - me being a non-woodworker - just an engineer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 296297298299300 345>
  Share Topic