FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 159160161162163 345>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:16pm
That is an impressive collection Graham and more clear proof of your thorough R&D.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 9:50am
One of the great acid tests of amplifiers (and systems) is Derek and the Dominos' Layla - especially using bookshelf speakers! Even LTP DC-coupled amps can struggle with it. The "crying" electric guitar high notes can effectively mask the bass line, and it is felt some bass boost might be appropriate. However, we live with the absence of tone controls, so it's not possible.

The combination of voltage regulation with the RS transformer, has allowed it to "relax" into how I believe it should sound. The base line is clearly audible, and the lead guitar no longer cringes. I think when you're happy to play it again, it must be getting there.

Another problem has been the "essing," which subtly destroys the musical interest, making much loved songs boring. Take Genesis' Mad Man Moon as an example. One distorted "S" might go unnoticed, but any more and the intrigue of the song and its instrumentation is gone.

These are just a couple of examples of how I audition my work, and it all boils down to the melodic abilities. The frequency extremes can be impressive, but to audition on these alone is to be led astray. I guess it's OK if you have little time for music, to have short bursts of thud and tish, preceded and followed by other things in life. But if you are never able to be "lost" inside a melody - instead being lulled into a deep sleep - then the senses are trying to tell you something is wrong.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:15pm
 we are talking of '' sytems''' the Amplifier is a vital components.
 Good choice of speakers is also  ......
After 40 years of small to medium size cabinet with a '' Woofer- Mid'' cone and basic tweeter, I reconsidered the configuration for a Columnn design box with 5 dedicated cones,  two very tweaked bass port and a under column slot bass port .....
full size Contre basse, large saxophone,  well sorted to instrument music tunes ........and shimmering tizzs in the 6000hz  region is distinctly heard for the instruments may it be'' Arterio Moreas home made simmering sea shells and other is still deciphered.......from Proprius  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 5:47pm
I am seriously considering powering the amp with two of these

or two of these

Edited by Graham Slee - 09 Oct 2021 at 5:51pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 7:28pm
Or maybe three of these

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:39pm
Hey, it's really getting fun ...

(any UK custom transformer mfrs or senior employees of same reading this, this is aimed at you)

To make it possible for all my readers to make this amplifier, I now need to redesign it to take 100V DC on it's HT rail!

The reason? Pig ignorance! Failure to engage in the design process - AKA not f******g bothered!

Yes, not even for the £8K of PSU1 transformers I buy - too bloody busy I'm told.

May I ask, when whatever it is keeping them so busy, goes tits up, will they then be interested? Bet it's related to climate change subsidies...

So, for now, and possibly forever, I have to make the amp sustain 100V DC, so that it can use a 60V secondary - that's from the fictitious 230V - because that's all you and I can get our hands on.

If you're sur le continent you'll need a 160VA 2 x 30V sec wired series to get sufficient rectified voltage - probably 85V DC quiescent loaded.

If you're on the UK 245V mains (235 - 257V measured around the country) then you'll need a 160VA 2 x 25V sec wired series, which will do about 77V DC rectified at quiescent.

Although I'm pretty confident it will be OK at 85V DC, if a continental version were eventually sold to somebody on 257V ac mains, the HT could easily reach 100V DC, and still be expected to work...

I actually have a beautiful transformer made by a firm that's not too busy to care, except that when I asked for one with primary taps, and I received it and fitted it, the thing grumbles and isn't so beautiful any longer. I did complain, but the answer kind of insulted my intelligence.

So, basically, it's bollocks to UK transformer manufacturers - their fault - not mine.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Yes, not even for the £8K of PSU1 transformers I buy - too bloody busy I'm told.

Back in the day, Capability Brown would dig you a lake (and divert a river to fill it), plant acres of trees, build a few follies, and throw in a few fountains - all for £8K in today's money... Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 159160161162163 345>
  Share Topic