FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 258259260261262 345>
Author
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 8:17pm
I like the rubber-baby-buggy-bumpers!

Neoprene rubber isolators really absorb a lot of vibrations.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 10:03pm
Over the years, 24 or so of my keen eye to audiophile amplifier construction on monthly Magazine, Hifi Market exhibition to West London most esoteric enthusiasts retailers of Hifi, the passionate attention to detail and resolute to find an appropriate fix to any or all technical mechanical electrical deficiencies are passionately and dedicatedly surmounted .....bravo mille bravo 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 3:22pm
This is just my 2 cents but I don't think digital inputs are necessary.

Most standalone DACs and CDPs still have analog outputs. The types of standalone DACs that are by far the most popular are those meant for desktop use with a small headphone amp. Pretty much all of them have analog outputs.

All CDPs that I have seen have analog outputs. The ones that don't are usually Blu-Ray players, usually the cheapest models. Those work off HDMI, just like a gaming console such as a Sony Playstation 5. Some "transport" only CD decks will have digital output meant to go to a standalone DAC.

Personally I am not a fan of the trend of integrated amp manufacturers taking away analog inputs and providing more inputs that are best left to separate components. Then if one of those digital inputs inevitably fails, you are sending the entire amp (usually heavy) in for service rather than a small DAC box.

I won't mention the name of the brand, but there is one company that has recently been selling their high-end integrated amps with loads of digital features, streaming, etc. built in and everything controlled by a touch screen. Of course many people ran into problems with these things at or near the end of the warranty period.

I do think providing a phono stage in a 70s style amp or line-stage would be a good idea. A remote control for volume would also be nice to have and far more important than digital inputs IMHO.

Once again, just my 2 cents.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 3:38pm
I agree with David about keeping digital inputs out of the "control preamp".
 and keeping any DAC services in a separate unit.
Thus making a modular system and the separate modules would be easier to repair when needed.

Edited by BAK - 04 Dec 2022 at 3:46pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 5:05pm
I agree about not having a dac inside the 1970's amp for both reasons given above.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 6:32pm
I agree too, about not having a DAC inside the 70s amp. There is much debate on DACs, some like me like a warm sound other's like a cold or clinical sound (not the best way of saying it I know) This is a 70s amp and to me tradition says keep it analogue.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 10:02pm
Yes, totally my thoughts and grateful for the assertion.  A DAC for Mobile phones and the like is another project for the  specific application characteristic to interact via Spdif or !!!! to  a 70'S transistor Amp.

The care to preserve the purity of the signal with Graham very elaborate and extensive R&D may be compromised, forgive my technical ignorance, Transistor Power Amp and Separate Module of Line level amp with an 'attenuator' is the icing top of the cake and in the 70's, our interaction with the equipment was a glory time and interaction with a remote pad was but useful convenience when you locate the thing among many of the same type floating under the Sofa OR inside it ..... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 258259260261262 345>
  Share Topic