FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 345>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 10:37pm
How much further can this design go? Everything about it can be thoroughly explained. There are no more head scratches.

Apart from...

I forgot who said it, but the human ear is sensitive to phase differences in the audible range. The quote goes something like, "even a difference of 10 degrees can be objectionable".

Should we, therefore, take it that less than 10 degrees is OK? If so, by changing the input capacitor from 100n to 220n, the phase response +10 degrees at LF to -10 degrees at HF is 50Hz to 14kHz, and that's as far as I can push it.

The frequency response is 5Hz to 96kHz (-3dB extremes), and better than -1dB 20Hz - 20kHz.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 11:54am
Very excited of the news and not my normal mode.

It calls speakers re configuration,  those super tweeter beyond 20,000 hz  (claimed to assist high frequency dissipation and accentuate to assist hearing). Supertweeter and a sub bass woofer are becoming  integral part of 2.5 or 3.1 or 5.1 hifi system anyway. But the Output connection would need to accommodate multiple speaker connections.

Someone stated that extending the Speaker frequency  reproduction  assist hearing of the more fundamental Vocal(male and female) cymbals 6-10,000hz and double bass 36 to 40 hz.

But you have explored, researched  any'' nuck and crannies''  and may YOUR WORK be the Glory.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:30pm
I have to accept that not all music will sound "out of this world" no matter how much effort is put into an amp design - shame, though.

All the time, I've thought the HF to be a little strident, but now I can get on with it - it is much improved. Then again, I am using mini-monitors that aren't blessed with trouser leg shaking abilities.

The final tuning (I hope it is final) has been to bypass the electrolytics, which might not be so "kind" to the HF. If it is going to do the hi-fi HF thing, it might as well do it clean!

They used to compliment Julie Andrews on being able to hear every word she sang. I hope that counts for this amp? I have played stuff from the '70s I could never make out, and with this amp, I can hear lyrics much more defined.

I try to imagine being sat behind the mixing desk engineers during mix down (I have sat behind the glass once) and ask myself, does this sound like it? Sometimes I agree, and sometimes I don't. Do I blame the CD, rip or album for the latter? I have been blaming myself mostly.

It's just had a whole week constantly on. Before going at the bypass caps, my final play was the Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour - the CD version. Fifty years ago, it sounded muffled and distorted, but that was on vinyl. Today all I heard was instruments and voices. The drums still sound like cardboard, but real cardboard, maybe?

Jon (Fatmangolf) was reminiscing about the Leak Delta 30 in another thread. This amp is more in keeping with the Stereo 30, with a hint of Proprius and Dynaco ST120. By the way, it does 42WPC.

I guess it might be time to chance my arm at a few units in the hope any takers - or loaners - might think it worthy.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:56pm
So, here it is, E&OE.

R19 is an enigma. If you know why, you're a budding amp designer.

You might ask why I'm publishing the schematic? It's going to be available as a kit (I hope) so will be blasted all over the internet some day anyway.

If you cannot see all details, use your browser to open the image in a new window, it will be larger.

V4 schematic

Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 11:37am
...it's going to be available as a kit (I hope) so will be blasted all over the internet some... 

Shall wait for the announcement, a DAK ''populated'' circuit board and kit PSU .....and after so much work, the cost charge rationale 

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 6:17pm
Impressive and something to look forward to. Thank you Graham.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:02pm
After the many hundreds of hours of development and much head scratching to understand what is really happening in the circuit, it is exciting to know that we are close to being able to hear the results of such dedication.
I'm really looking forward to hearing the results.

Thanks Graham,

Ian

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 345>
  Share Topic