FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 Enigma Micro-Signal Power Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:45am
All resulted in my case in significant sonic improvement interference related or otherwise.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:36pm
I have now added the Enigma DC lead to the mix.

It is clear that the new DC lead is a good improvement on the standard PSU lead - the differences between the Enigma and my own solid silver are quite small -unlike when I compared mine against the standard one.

These were all used on the enigma and my upgraded mains cable.

The enigma DC lead was a little more forward in the vocal ranges and heavier in the mid bass frequencies - my silver lead was a little crisper, Lighter, tighter and more detailed in the bass mid band with no great notable character.  This appeared the OPPOSITE of the findings of the PSU which led me to believe they may actually compliment one another leaving the combined results very similar??

Using the enigma + cable with my standard PSU + silver DC cable the results were now closer than before.

The enigma vocals were now more forward but perhaps a little more open in the midband.  The standard PSU & silver DC by comparison displayed crisper, maybe dryer bass, vocals marginally smaller but a tad more front to back depth.

My overall conclusions (all with my upgraded mains cable) are as follows:

1) the combined effect of the enigma and own DC leave is little different from the standard PSU with my upgraded DC cable - a little different rather than better or worse.
2) given I found my DC lead made a bigger difference than the Enigma/enigma DC combo i suspect the new enigma DC lead MAY be a worthwhile improvement to the standard unit (and I really like new screw collar on the Enigma/lead!) and I suspect quite a bit cheaper than my bespoke pure silver unshielded lead.
3) my mains inlet Cable provided a far bigger and genuine improvement Vs the Enigma/cable combo and indeed my own DC lead upgrade.
4) from what Graham indicates these results would not be replicated with the Accession MC, so I am not in any way suggesting suggesting these results would be repeated with the Access MC or again with Majestic or any other items.
5) if I ever look to upgrade my Access MM to MC I am sure the Enigma would be the way to go...

Since I am not using my ‘best’ mains cable I will try this with an F8 converter I have as I suspect this will improve my current performance - a very short length version would be similar cost to the Enigma so one for another day I think.

Thank you Jon for the loan provision and will be looking to return these very shortly.
DeadWax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadWax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

All resulted in my case in significant sonic improvement interference related or otherwise.

Hmm ok so this brief exchange caused me to lose 2 hours of my Sunday once i'd peeled away the first layer of the onion! I really had no idea that this was a thing Embarrassed

I may start another thread as my initial scratching at the surface has left me with way more questions than answers (furutech/tacima/russ andrews... hydra/mains block/conditioner/spur/etc/etc Confused)
Andy R
Lincoln, UK
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 3:46pm
In my system I could hear the benefit of the Enigma PSU1 and its new cable for powering the Elevator EXP and the Accession MC, any impact on the Accession MM was inaudible to me. The Enigma PSU1 did improve my Majestic's sound IMO.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by msphil msphil wrote:

For the last couple of weeks I have been testing the PSU1-Enigma Power Supply with the Majestic Pre-/DAC and comparing it to its supplied PSU1 Power Supply. As most of you will know the Enigma was originally designed by Graham for the Accension MC, where he found it made a noticeable improvement to the sound. 

Because there is a difference in price between the two PSUs I thought it would be useful to find out how noticeable a difference there was between the two devices. In order to do this I have been running the Majestic using the Enigma PSU for the last two weeks. At the same time I left the original PSU1 powered up in order that in the near future, once the Enigma has had time to bed in, I will switch the cables over and make a comparison.

I am posting this report before swapping the cables over so that I can give you my first impressions. I will then write a second report letting you know how much difference I noticed going back to the original PSU. It is worth saying that although I am trying to be as unbiased as possible any impressions are necessarily subjective and are my opinions only.

Initially I spent no time running the Enigma PSU in. It was completely new and fresh from the test bench. As soon as it was plugged in I did notice a difference. The sound seemed to have greater clarity, was very detailed and seemed to have more space within the soundstage. One was able to position the instruments in a way that I hadn't noticed before. I found this quite inspiring though it was a little clinical.

A week or so later I noticed that there had been a noticeable change. There was an increased warmth and musicality that had begun to appear. I noticed that there was no longer any suggestion of the sound being cool or clinical. Everything seemed to be much more natural, fuller and in its place. On most recordings there was a noticeable improvement  which I found hard to believe and at times incredibly exciting. Everything had taken on a more natural depth and grain without losing any of its detail. The high treble rang hi and clear without any trace of strain or annoyance and while the bass and midrange (as time progressed) took on an individual depth, grain and natural quality which showed the nature of the instruments played and the ambiance of the studio, echo, and the amplification used. There seem to be an air and breath around the vocals which added to the atmosphere of the recordings.

There were some recordings which I noticed immediately became much more interesting and vital. Bob Dylan's song 'Forever Young' was especially exciting. Previously I had not realised what a good recording it had been. I was also greatly impressed by Yo-Yo Ma playing the Bach cello sonatas. This had a quality of detail and naturalness which normally only manifests when hearing the instrument played live and close. There were tracks by the Portuguese Fdao singer Mariza there was a depth of silence in the background which added presence atmosphere and quality to the music.

As you can see I have been very impressed and astounded by the improvement that a PSU can appear to make. It is my intention in the next day or so to swap the two units over to find out if or how much I will notice any difference. I will report back when I can. I would also be really interested to know whether other people with the Enigma PSU agree with my findings.

I'm sorry this second stage of my review has taken so long to appear, but things have been extremely hectic with the preparations for Christmas.

After allowing the Enigma about three weeks to burn in I have spent several hours  over the weekend making comparisons between the standard PSU 1 and the Enigma when used with the Majestic. The first thing I would like to say is that they are both excellent PSUs. However, the Enigma (to my ears) is a subtle, though noticeable, improvement over the standard PSU 1.

When compared the Enigma seemed to produce a warmer, more musical sound. Full of detail with the instruments sounding more realistic, tighter and more natural. Above all the Ambiance and soundstage seemed more real and atmospheric. The vocals on many tracks seemed a little more forward when compared with the standard PSU 1. One could almost imperceptibly feel the air moving around the singer and microphone.

My first action was to listen very carefully in turn to a number of tracks that I know very well. I then quickly swapped the input lead over to the other PSU. This allowed an instant comparison, seconds apart. This showed the subtle differences but was revealing with even my wife noticing the difference. After doing this with a number of tracks I then proceeded to play, at random, various pieces of music from one of my playlists one after the other. This confirmed that to me the Enigma was easy to live with and was the one which proved to be the more enjoyable unit when used over an extended period of time. In the end I was left with a broad smile on my face!

As I said before both units are excellent. Anybody would be more than pleased with the results either of them produce. I myself found the Enigma the one I would prefer to live with even if I had to pay a little extra for the privilege.

I hope this has been helpful. I will take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 5:19pm
Maybe I should tried it on the Elevator Jon!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:06pm
Indeed! When I was testing the 'beta PSU1' that became the Enigma I let myself consider the effect of a better supply with lower noise, and so I veered towards the very low signal levels of my moving coil cartridges. I spent time trying the beta and standard PSU1's with the top of the range Accession MC (loan unit, since bought my own) and my own Elevator MC, both of which became more natural sounding (well the records did!) to my ears. I spent many hours with these and a side or two with the Accession M which didn't give me enough to judge that really. Casey's work on MM and yours are much more extensive so more valid than mine.

The real surprise for me later was trying the Majestic after Graham and Phil drew attention to the benefits of the Enigma PSU1 on this. I must acknowledge the listening pleasure I have had since buying another Enigma for the Majestic, which turns the best DAC I have owned into an even better musical experience.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
  Share Topic