FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 Enigma Micro-Signal Power Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 9:38pm
I've been enjoying my Enigma PSU1 with my Majestic. Despite being on a digital source I think what Kory wrote above says it really well. I really heard the difference with my EXP too.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 6:57pm
For the last couple of weeks I have been testing the PSU1-Enigma Power Supply with the Majestic Pre-/DAC and comparing it to its supplied PSU1 Power Supply. As most of you will know the Enigma was originally designed by Graham for the Accension MC, where he found it made a noticeable improvement to the sound. 

Because there is a difference in price between the two PSUs I thought it would be useful to find out how noticeable a difference there was between the two devices. In order to do this I have been running the Majestic using the Enigma PSU for the last two weeks. At the same time I left the original PSU1 powered up in order that in the near future, once the Enigma has had time to bed in, I will switch the cables over and make a comparison.

I am posting this report before swapping the cables over so that I can give you my first impressions. I will then write a second report letting you know how much difference I noticed going back to the original PSU. It is worth saying that although I am trying to be as unbiased as possible any impressions are necessarily subjective and are my opinions only.

Initially I spent no time running the Enigma PSU in. It was completely new and fresh from the test bench. As soon as it was plugged in I did notice a difference. The sound seemed to have greater clarity, was very detailed and seemed to have more space within the soundstage. One was able to position the instruments in a way that I hadn't noticed before. I found this quite inspiring though it was a little clinical.

A week or so later I noticed that there had been a noticeable change. There was an increased warmth and musicality that had begun to appear. I noticed that there was no longer any suggestion of the sound being cool or clinical. Everything seemed to be much more natural, fuller and in its place. On most recordings there was a noticeable improvement  which I found hard to believe and at times incredibly exciting. Everything had taken on a more natural depth and grain without losing any of its detail. The high treble rang hi and clear without any trace of strain or annoyance and while the bass and midrange (as time progressed) took on an individual depth, grain and natural quality which showed the nature of the instruments played and the ambiance of the studio, echo, and the amplification used. There seem to be an air and breath around the vocals which added to the atmosphere of the recordings.

There were some recordings which I noticed immediately became much more interesting and vital. Bob Dylan's song 'Forever Young' was especially exciting. Previously I had not realised what a good recording it had been. I was also greatly impressed by Yo-Yo Ma playing the Bach cello sonatas. This had a quality of detail and naturalness which normally only manifests when hearing the instrument played live and close. There were tracks by the Portuguese Fdao singer Mariza there was a depth of silence in the background which added presence atmosphere and quality to the music.

As you can see I have been very impressed and astounded by the improvement that a PSU can appear to make. It is my intention in the next day or so to swap the two units over to find out if or how much I will notice any difference. I will report back when I can. I would also be really interested to know whether other people with the Enigma PSU agree with my findings.
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:16pm
Thanks Bob, will see what you find when switching back.  Am awaiting my loan enigma to try and will report on my Accession MM & Elevator shortly.
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:51am
I suspect that removing it will seem like something in your hi fi has broken...that was the effect that I noticed most. Stand by to raid your piggy bank Phil Big smile
Derek
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 8:13am
After I moved my burned-in Enigma PSU1 from my AccMC to power the Majestic, I had a similar listening experience with Maj to Phil's. Then the dilemma of which unit benefitted the most from the Enigma PSU1 and the almost inevitable placing of my order for a second Enigma PSU1.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:11pm

Thank you Jon for the loaner Enigma which arrived yesterday and left powered up for 26 hours before use.

By way of comparison, I have listened to my Accession MM & Elevator through the standard PSU although both have pure silver mains cables and the Accession pure silver DC lead and upgraded DC plug (Oyaide).

Assessment 1 Current set up Vs out of box Enigma with Enigma DC lead on Accession MM.
I first listed to Wind & Wuthering Genesis (new spare copy - replaced due to scratch on one track).  First observation, Enigma DC relatively slack in Accession vs tight fit from Oyaide plug.

Moving to the Enigma the overall sound appeared perhaps smoother but possibly with more sibilance.  The sound was likeable but thinner and softer throughout the range.  In some ways first impressions were of vocals a little more separated, possibly more natural.

I next played a second hand copy of Donna Summer's Bad girls - side 2 of 4 on the Enigma set up before switching back to my normal set up.

Moving from the Enigma vocals were now more projected, more raw (not a criticism/or compliment) but the most noticeable effect was the greater drive and rhythm to the music and apparently bigger dynamics.

Before concluding my initial assessment I spun side 4 on my existing before going back to the Enigma to confirm the findings (sounding really good, huge soundstage and very fluid, with great speed to bass lines and tempo/speed changes on 'Sunset People' in particular).

On going back to the Enigma using Side 4 the balance was immediately lighter in the bass and less dynamic.  Vocals were projected less with a little sibilance back again.  Donna's voice was 'less raw' and a little smoother albeit conveyed less emotion.  The presentation was now different, smaller with slightly less width and depth, not recessed though.  The overall sound was less engaging (feet stopping tapping and the tempo changes in sunset people had now disappeared) with a lot of the power and impact also gone - more so as the side progressed, albeit very pleasant and lacking any real vices (marginal sibilance apart though vocal on later tracks did lack some known clarity).

From what I have heard this evening I do prefer my existing configuration although on balance I will be very interested in tomorrows findings.

I have deliberately not looked back at other Enigma comments so as not to be unduly influenced.
I will have an extended session tomorrow evening and this time will use my upgraded mains cables and hopefully then compare the DC Leads assuming time permits.

time for bed as work tomorrow Disapprove but cant wait for tomorrow evenings session....

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:17pm
Silver interconnects can cause/exacerbate sibilance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>
  Share Topic