FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Era Gold V...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Era Gold V...
    Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 6:25am
Have just purchased one after auditioning one via the loan scheme...and was bowled over by the little box of tricks. Has anyone used one with a compatible high gain m.c cart,and if so, were the results just as spectacular?
Rega P8, Exact m.m, Accession m. phono stage, Graham Slee /Chord interconnects, Dali Oberon floor standers.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 8:49am
Hi Steve,
I used an Era Gold V with a Dynavector DV20 high o/p MC a dozen or so years ago &
memory is hazy but I seem to remember that it worked very well.
What cartridge did you use to audition the Era Gold?

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 7:35pm
A Rega Exact m.m...the Era Gold really sang.....more than impressed!
Rega P8, Exact m.m, Accession m. phono stage, Graham Slee /Chord interconnects, Dali Oberon floor standers.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 8:15pm
I used mine with a Dynavector 10x5. The Era V got me hooked on Graham Slee equipment. At the time I was using it to drive an old N##m amp and it knocked the spots off the internal amp.

So I thought to myself, what do the Proprius amps sound like... The rest is history.

It’s the way the sound stage opens up that got me at first then you start noticing how quite everything’s become, no surface noise and the fact that with the right material somebody is singing in front of you. Great piece of kit but couldn’t resist moving up to the Accession MM.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 7:30am
The well-recommended Cartridge Man Musicmaker MI is a great match with the Era Gold V.
The AN IQ1, or the Goldring 1042 it is based on have excellent styli. 
None of these are high o/p MCs though.
The Sumiko Blue Point Special is a high o/p MC that is lively sounding but a bit bright -
although my setup may have been less than optimum when I used one..

Edited by RichW - 26 Jun 2018 at 7:44am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:26am
Strange that....my only experience with mc to date was also a Sumiko Blue Point, and I too was left with negative feelings....I used my Gram Amp 2 SE with a Goldring G1042 and was converted(via my AR Legend table).....moved on to a Rega RP6 now with the Rega Exact mm and a Gold Era V: Stunning synchronicity!.....but you know as well as I "never satisfied"...hence the query re mc with the Gold.....Thanks for your observations:)
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:59am
Once upon a time, before the Reflex was a twinkle in its fathers eye, in a far away place, an intrepid tinkerer with audio reproduction equipment who owned no less than 2 HOMC cartridges, embarked upon a quest to improve his listening experience by investing (what to him, at that time, seemed a most considerable sum) in a new EGV phono preamp from the far away (to him) dales of northern england.  He had already sampled the wares of some other of the purveyors of such, but was nonetheless only seduced into parting with folding readies, by the offer by the retailer thereof, to refund in full should the item prove not to his liking within 14 days of its receipt.
Happenchance, it took barely two albums and less than half a day for him to know that it would not be going anywhere within any foreseeable time frame.  Even to this day, though the EGV has since moved on to a new admirer,  this tinkerer continues to use products of the same manufacturer, albeit those of more recent development and even including those for equipment connection and signal transmission and (gasp! shock! horror!) digital source media translation.

Be all that as it may, the cartridges in question were the DV10x5 and the Denon DL-110.
Many other folk since then have enjoyed the DL-110 to my knowledge and the baby DV is also not without its fans though twice as expensive as the Denon.
Whether either would be an improvement on the Exact is beyond my experience, I would suspect the DV20x2H to be worthy of consideration, though probably more expensive than most of the better MM cartridges.

Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic