FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

MC Cartridges and Elevator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gijo1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gijo1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MC Cartridges and Elevator
    Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:19pm
Hey Guys,

I have been looking around the internet to try and gather my knowledge and thoughts about getting the best out of a couple of MC carts I have recently procured.

1. Benz Micro Glider SL (Output voltage at 3.54 cm/s: 0.4 mV,- Internal impedance: 12 ohms)
2. Supex 900 Super (Output @ 3,54cm/s: 0,20mV,- Impedance:3.5 ohms)

I am currently using an Accession to great effect with my Dynavector 10x5, and was after some advice from the assembled masses about any experiences they have with either of these cartridges with an Elevator OR Reflex C? What settings did you find worked well etc... Did the elevator have enough settings? did you use additional loading plugs to get it right?

Hopefully the answers I seek are here :)

Dan
Now: Accession M, CuSAT50, Spatia Cables + links
Later: Proprius
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 5:09pm
Hi Dan,

I haven't any experience of those cartridges but have a number of MCs at different price points and have used them with the Accession (MM - there's now an MC version available) and Elevator. There are more than enough settings on the Elevator for all of my MCs and I'm sure these would be suitable for the Benz and Supex models.

Why not borrow an Elevator from the loan scheme here to find out for yourself? 

For my MCs - which include an Ortofon SPU, Zyx R100, Hana EL and Soundsmith Zephyr (actually an MI, but low output) I find the 840 ohm setting for all suits me fine. Maybe I'm not a true "audiophile" because I don't obsess over these things. For a (very) short while I had an MC phono amp with a variable loading knob and for a huge part of the adjustment range there was very little, if any difference. Only when wound right down was there an objectionable squashing of the sound. I can imagine some folk tweaking it for every record, but life's too short for that! Needless to say Graham's phono amps which I was using alongside this nameless piece of kit sounded better! 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Gijo1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gijo1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:46am
Thanks. I had seen the release of the Accession MC..... but already investing in the MM means my preference is to find a suitable partner, rather than reinvest in the MC version.

I read the Supex prefers settings below 100ohms and I have been told the Glider is happy around 480ohms on a SUT, but not sure how that may translate?

I have indicated I am interested in the Loan program here in Aus, so we will get in line and try it out :)

Dan
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:32am
Hi Dan, I only have a few MC cartridges but have tried lots of options with their loading from 20 ohms to 47 kilohms using the Elevator EXP and realised that the advice is right to set the loading resistance at 10x the cartridge source impedance or higher. Much higher resistance e.g. 100x was brighter sounding to me or more 'airy' and usually a little louder. I found going down lower than 3x made the sound very matter of fact and a little dull.

Inevitably it depends on personal taste and your system so these are only my opinions. Examples:

* I ran my 8 Ohm Phoenix on 100 Ohms, I tried higher and found 840 was a good compromise to liven up dull records. Now using the 'British' EQ on my Accession does that better so I stick with 100 ohms.
* My 4 Ohm R100L sounds good to me on 100 Ohms. The 30 Ohms EXP option is closest to 10x but I preferred 100 Ohms loading.
*The DL103's 40 Ohms worked well with 1 kilohm loading on the EXP. I thought was a bit dull with 100 Ohms loading.

The EXP will provide a load of 100 Ohms with the left switch down or 30 Ohms with the right switch down, both down gives the lowest option of 20 Ohms loading. I should also add that the EXP can give a load of about 90 Ohms with the left switch down and the right switch up.

I used resistor loading plugs to get some in between loadings like 50 Ohms, 200 Ohms, and 300 Ohms. Having made various physical changes I think they were more significant to getting the sound right than fine tuning the loading. Having written that I did enjoy the experimenting with both so please don't let me put you off.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 24 Jun 2018 at 9:28am
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Gijo1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gijo1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:14am
Jon,

Thanks for your follow on. How easy did you find using the loading plugs? did you use the loading plugs to bring it down from 47kohms? or did you use them in conjunction with the switch combos on the exp?

Cheers

Dan
Gijo1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gijo1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:20am
I should have added:

I have a couple of additional questions about the best way to connect the Accession and Exp.... I have a CuSAT50 cable, that is probably much to long in its current placement between the Pre/Power amp and thought I could 'trim' it down to create a pair of short cables for the Accession/Exp.

Where do I get the additional RCA connectors that match the existing ones? Can they be ordered from GSP? 

What is the shortest CuSAT50 length that can be used to connect the two units?

Thanks

Dan
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:54am
Hi Daniel, a couple of years ago I adapted a Cusat as you propose & bought four locking RCAs via Ebay. When they arrived they seemed identical to the originals. I just entered the same item into Ebay.com.au:

Edited by Drewan77 - 24 Jun 2018 at 10:55am
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic