FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Turntable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 6:05pm
...sadly half way through the first side I noticed what appeared to be a slow down in speed not there at the beginning of the side; a quick check suggested it turning at around 42rpm (45); switched back to the basic one which was again 45pm.  Wont be using the valve one again but look forward to my new one when this becomes possible.

The basic supply does seem a big step back in sonics but at least the speed is correct!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 4:54pm
I decided to pursue a custom made power supply for my Source in the absence of being able to have my valve supply serviced (engineer post operation convalescence) and I am not a great valve fan in any event though will have it serviced if the cost is not too great.

The new unit came in a case almost identical to Graham's black cases as found on most of his hardware, so was welcomed as neat, functional and easily located.

Before listening to the new slightly higher voltage PSU I checked the speed which was identical to the old 19v supply albeit a tad fast at 33.33.

The results were along similar lines to the valve unit (other than the slow-down!) though will be interested to see how this compares when the valve unit is fettled.

With the caveat that the new supply is used in a standard wall socket rather than dedicated mains supply/power HUB and with the basic mains cable supplied there was in basic form a significant improvement in several areas, in particular:

Low frequencies - more solid, punchy focused and tuneful.  Rhythmically better with greater texture and detail.

Mid-upper ranges - Vocals better separated on multi-mixes (e.g. Bee Gees) with greater space and improved fine detail.  More natural throughout the range

Soundstage - a lot wider with greater 3D effect in all directions with more space - an improved and more engaging experience.

On switch back to the supplied unit, the soundstage rather collapsed in on itself - more than I expected, width quite dramatically.  Bass was a little slower and less interesting the whole sound being in relative terms a little flat and less natural. The only perceived changed in balance was that this now appeared a little 'thinner' albeit this isn't to suggest the new supply was warmer.  One unusual feature I have never encountered before is difficult to describe.  Both in the mid/upper bass and the mid range it appeared that there was now a 'bloom', 'drone', 'hum'  This wasn't actually the case of having a hum but apparently unwanted background mush which had been eradicated not that I had ever been aware of this in use.

Back to the new PSU everything was restored and I have no plans to use the original supply any time soon.

I will next use an upgraded mains cable fed from my power HUB and will be interested to see what the differences (if any) are.

I would be interested to hear of any experiences with Graham's new Power Supply in use with the Accession MM as I certainly would consider upgrading one of my two PSUs if justified.  Jon, any chance of going on the loaner waiting list for the new PSU? 

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 8:16am
Thanks Richard for explaining the changes you have made to the Source and how they have improved the music. I'll put you in the Enigma loan list.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 9:57pm

For what should be my final Source upgrade (unless I look to replace the on-board caps at some stage) has now been auditioned.

I set about comparing the standard mains lead in to my new Source TT power supply in the wall socket with a spare but well regarded Copper cable as a start point; in to my power block.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect but had it set in my mind that the cable I was trying (or the more budget version) would represent a small but worthwhile improvement at reasonable cost since my PSU is tucked under my rack on the floor and would need maybe 70-80cm lead.

My Copper mains (into HUB) was noticeably more open with more body, natural with cleaner vocals.  On switching back to the std cable the sound was thinner, smaller, more forward and there was an increase is surface noise.  Vocals a little veiled/pinched/raw.  Switching between the two on mixed material confirmed the findings though remained a little uneasy that the bass appeared 'too full' which on some material was a step backwards despite the overall improvement, albeit the cable hasn't been used for a couple of years.

Ok, so do I try my pure silver mains cable CD player cable which I could not justify spending this on what would be quite a long lead for the TT.  I thought it should highlight any more significant changes and I could always take one or 2 steps down the range between this and the Copper cable.

The differences were greater than the changes between the standard cable and my Copper one, which I was very surprised by.  On trying further material my findings over four listening sessions were confirmed.

Reading from my notes the copper was undoubtedly fuller, less clean and slower sounding in the bass, vocals less open and slightly strained.  By comparison my Pure Silver lead removed the bass hump/bloom which remained faster, tighter, more controlled and more punchy and dynamic.  Mid and higher up the range the sound was more delicate, and open with more air around the vocals with a greater sense of fine detail, ultimately more natural, enjoyable and tuneful.

Now the dilemma.  I could not justify spending several hundred pounds on a quite lengthy cable to sit under my rack, but would feel short changed having heard what the new PSU could achieve with this cable.

With Graham's PSU I have one mounted vertically on a very short mains cable (very stiff around 11mm diameter); whilst my new PSU is heavier than Graham's the even thicker gauge cable should still hold the new PSU vertically on a very short run I thought whilst remaining in a good location which is what I have decided to do and have just placed an order.

Sitting here writing the more I listen the better it is getting and a sheer pleasure.  I did promise myself I would provide a final cable upgrade to Graham's PSU which I would have thought should provide a bigger level of increase to that than the TT PSU, but for now will await the delivery and enjoy.

Perhaps I may look at the Enigma before the other cables when the loan unit arrives...will also be interesting to try Graham's DC lead against my DC upgrade.  If there is a spare DC lead on loan before the Enigma I would be interested to try as a stand-alone (hint Jon!).

Alan Parsons now finished now for some Genesis!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:01pm
my custom made PSU cable has arrived and provides a good solution to my cable management- this is the same arrangement I have on my GSP PSUs other than shorter and lower spec cable & F8 plug for PSU.  

14mm cable I strong enough to support the PSU.  

Will try and post picture

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:13pm
as promised 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 3:36pm
My faulty valve supply has been collected from the engineers workshop- it apparently needed a lot of work in addition to the valves so given this exercise was only really to satisfy my curiosity in comparing with my new supply had no inclination to chuck any further money at it given I would never use in in every day use.

Will be making arrangements to move the valve supply on when I can find a suitably large box to pack it in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic