FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Accession's EQ's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by BAK BAK wrote:

Originally posted by tmoody tmoody wrote:

Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

It's a good point. I wrote on my Accession MC review that as well as matching the recording characteristic, the switching is like a high quality treble control. Roughly compared to RIAA's -13.7dB at 10,000 Hertz 'British' offers about +2dB and Columbia -2dB, so the former is a slight mid/presence boost and a slight cut for the latter. I hope that helps but I suspect you'd worked that out already.

Great info, thank you!

Just a reminder if members are not aware...  

In this forum, please use the "Thanks" button (above & to the right of each post) to say thank you.

Each forum member has a "Thanks" score tally on their profile.
This will help everybody.
I note that the thanks rating applies to individual posts, not to a helpful member.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:40am
I agree,
  I found the Accession (when I had it on loan), to be tremendously helpful for a few specific recordings. The box set of Karajan Beethoven symphonies with the Berlin Phil from the 60’s (his first Berlin set) went from dull and lacking dynamic impact to simply marvelous. The mono recording suddenly had space and definition, rhythmic drive and phrasing. Not a subtle change!
Next is an older Decca 10” (!) of Bohm and the Vienna Phil doing Schubert’s Unfinished. The same transformation. Wow. And finally, a set of Bach solo violin music played by Szeryng on DG. Interestingly, this set has just been reissued, and I wonder if it’s more conventional. Certainly the Accession helped bring out the timbrebof the violin in a way the standard RIAA didn’t. 
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
tmoody View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tmoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

I agree,
  I found the Accession (when I had it on loan), to be tremendously helpful for a few specific recordings. The box set of Karajan Beethoven symphonies with the Berlin Phil from the 60’s (his first Berlin set) went from dull and lacking dynamic impact to simply marvelous. The mono recording suddenly had space and definition, rhythmic drive and phrasing. Not a subtle change!
Next is an older Decca 10” (!) of Bohm and the Vienna Phil doing Schubert’s Unfinished. The same transformation. Wow. And finally, a set of Bach solo violin music played by Szeryng on DG. Interestingly, this set has just been reissued, and I wonder if it’s more conventional. Certainly the Accession helped bring out the timbrebof the violin in a way the standard RIAA didn’t. 
Cheers,
Mick.

Just got mine set up and am extremely happy after a brief listening session. Can't wait until it breaks in and I can spend time going through my collection (as well as playing with the EQ...)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:43pm
Tip: the American setting is -16dB for the Columbia/NAB recording curve. It is also a handy treble cut if listening to some very bright recordings I have from the 1980's, presumably meant to punch through on the radio or sound like the new CD's.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tmoody View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Tip: the American setting is -16dB for the Columbia/NAB recording curve. It is also a handy treble cut if listening to some very bright recordings I have from the 1980's, presumably meant to punch through on the radio or sound like the new CD's.

Do any of the curves explicitly deal with subsonic filtering? Getting some very bad woofer pumping on a couple of records (which don't seem otherwise particularly warped, to the eye anyway). I also get a footfall problem near my cabinet, but, I typically never walk near the cabinet while listening. The foot fall problem I will try to deal with via dampening, etc. But the woofer pumping that occurs playing those few albums - especially at higher volumes - seems related to my ported speakers if google is any guide.

Many folks recommend various filters (e.g. KAB RF1, Harris Labs stuff). But, it occurred to me that perhaps something in the Accession MC may do the trick. I suppose I could experiment too but thought I'd ask.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 7:59pm

Do any of the curves explicitly deal with subsonic filtering?

No!
The woofer problem you describe occurs in bass reflex speakers which are underdamped to give the impression of deeper bass.
Put a rolled up sock in each port, and watch the wobble diminish.

tmoody View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Do any of the curves explicitly deal with subsonic filtering?

No!
The woofer problem you describe occurs in bass reflex speakers which are underdamped to give the impression of deeper bass.
Put a rolled up sock in each port, and watch the wobble diminish.

Heh. Well, the KEF Ref 3's I have actually have two port lengths. I could try the shorter one and see how that goes. Or use socks as you sayLOL

Edited by tmoody - 02 Jun 2018 at 8:27pm
  Share Topic