FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Accession's EQ's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
tmoody View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Accession's EQ's
    Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:24pm
After a Reflex audition, I took the plunge and have an Accession MC on order. I was looking at the various EQ settings and wondering if there were any generalities that could be made about them, e.g. "this one emphasizes mids" or something like that? I gather they're not designed to function that way per se, but, figured there might be some generalities that could be drawn nonetheless.

Sorry if this info was discussed in another thread and I missed it...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:20pm
It's a good point. I wrote on my Accession MC review that as well as matching the recording characteristic, the switching is like a high quality treble control. Roughly compared to RIAA's -13.7dB at 10,000 Hertz 'British' offers about +2dB and Columbia -2dB, so the former is a slight mid/presence boost and a slight cut for the latter. I hope that helps but I suspect you'd worked that out already.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jango View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:38pm
That's really good info, thanks for sharing. It'll come in handy if and when I can get my hands on this model. 
tmoody View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

It's a good point. I wrote on my Accession MC review that as well as matching the recording characteristic, the switching is like a high quality treble control. Roughly compared to RIAA's -13.7dB at 10,000 Hertz 'British' offers about +2dB and Columbia -2dB, so the former is a slight mid/presence boost and a slight cut for the latter. I hope that helps but I suspect you'd worked that out already.

Great info, thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by tmoody tmoody wrote:

Great info, thank you!

Just a reminder if members are not aware...  

In this forum, please use the "Thanks" button (above & to the right of each post) to say thank you.

Each forum member has a "Thanks" score tally on their profile.
This will help everybody.

Edited by BAK - 14 May 2018 at 10:52pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:03pm

In addition to what Jon noted, I found the 'British' setting to help on some "so-called RIAA" LPs that needed a "slight mid/presence boost".
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:08pm
Good tip Bruce. I found some older classical LP's sounded vague or distant on RIAA and the British setting makes them sound more energetic and immediate, 'closer' to the listener for want of a better word.

I have also found some 1980's 'dawn of the CD era' LP's benefitted from the American setting thanks to the treble cut it offers to close miked and enhanced mixes.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 15 May 2018 at 9:11pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic