FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession MC - a quick review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:29am
so you lasted three hours and twenty minutes - I’d say that’s pretty remarkable!
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:25am
Going back to Elevator/Accession MM after the loan Accession MC shows the Accession MC
has just that little bit extra something - detail & resolution that makes listening more involving.
I'm sure after a little use again with Elevator/AccMM it'll be back to sounding as good as ever.

I'll just add that the Elevator/AccMM have not been powered off when loan Accession MC
has been used.

Edited by RichW - 20 Jun 2018 at 10:24am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 5:42pm
You've put it very well Richard. I went back to my EXP/AccMM too and found the same thing, very good but you miss what you know you could have. What did it for me was playing back some V-rips/needledrops I did with the loan Accession MC!

Yes, under 3 1/2 hours. We had a short power outtage today, even so the AccMC's sound (or lack of!) will have improved with a day's burn-in I suspect. Good theory. Best to be sure by playing some records tonight...

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:35pm
I am waiting to hear back from a couple of the members who made requests in March to try the Accession MC. It has been out a couple of times now and can be borrowed in the UK by sending me a private message (PM) using the drop menu udner my user name.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 21 Jun 2018 at 8:03am
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

You've put it very well Richard. I went back to my EXP/AccMM too and found the same thing, very good but you miss what you know you could have. What did it for me was playing back some V-rips/needledrops I did with the loan Accession MC!

You're right there Jon, once an improvement is heard, it's missed when it's gone.
An Accession MC purchase is definitely on the cards, but is a great shame that it will displace
the Elevator which I'd hate to see standing unused on the shelf....Unhappy

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 3:30pm
After nearly four years of sterling service my Reflex C was given a rest over the festive holiday and replaced with the loan Accession MC + Enigma.

Nothing to add to Paul Szabady's glowing review of the Accession MM as it pretty much sums up my listening pleasure over the past couple of weeks. Certainly experienced the same gamut of emotions. 

An unexpected bonus was the low level of hum compared with the Reflex C (to be fair with the latter it's not discernible when music is playing).

Didn't find time to substitute my PSU1 for the Enigma to evaluate the difference as I was enjoying the loan combination too much!

Thanks to Jon and Graham for the opportunity to sample this superb piece of kit.

IvanM View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IvanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:38pm

Some  months ago I upgraded from a Reflex C to the Accession MC.  I would have posted this sooner but lost my password! Having a loan unit and doing back-to-back comparisons, made this an easy decision.  There was a consistent improvement in scale and presentation, the Accession bringing vocals more forward and placing them in a deeper and wider space, where the recordings offer it.  EG on side 2 of Low the oooh and aaah backing vocals are noticeably more intimate and distinct. There’s more texture too, the jangly, rattley, clangy things are janglier, rattlier and clangier and again, more in their own space.  The result is the whole thing is spookier, more present and more affecting. A more subtle difference is that I think that tempo/timing seems snappier too, possibly as a result of drums and percussion being cleaner but I think there's more to it than that.  I fancy it’s a bit quieter too.

So I’m very pleased with the Accession. I do have a niggle though, which is that the has features that I (and I guess many others) are never going to need.  Which while meeting a niche that other manufacturers may not be addressing, adds cost, switches and circuits that I’d happily forgo. I think the extra features may also detract from the fact that this is a really good phono stage, for anyone just wanting - well, just that, a really good phono stage.  So had there been a basic version available, that’s what I’d have gone for and I wonder if that simpler proposition would have a wider appeal or at least find a little more market share? Not a criticism - just my thoughts.

Still mustn't grumble though!  As I’m writing this I’m enjoying Richard Thompson insinuating something unpleasant (Rumour and Sigh) and before that, Tom Waits (Swordfishtrombones) was croaking his woes with convincing intimacy.  The added space and texture really working to bring the effect and atmosphere of the songs on these albums (neither of which are great pressings) right into the room. NB More recently I upgraded the p/s on the Accession to the new Enigma but it has actually ended up on my Majestic - I’ll post info on that separately in case anyone is interested.

Edited by IvanM - 21 May 2019 at 11:45pm
I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic