FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommendations please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendations please
    Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 9:23pm
My AKG K271 Studio headphones are beginning to fall apart, what should I replace them with?
I am not a big headphone user but they do allow me to listen when others don't want to hear my stuff !
I found the AKGs were sonically ok but uncomfortable after a while. They also have a headband switch which, annoyingly operates just when I don't want it to. 
So my preference is:
Over the ear, excellent sound, well made and comfortable and as I don't use them a lot, the price in the reasonable bracket.
Hope that is enough info for some good suggestions.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:42pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:08am
I gather you are not so enamoured of the AKG that you simply wish to replace them.
For a better quality build and to me, a better sound, the Sony MDR-7506 might be worth a look.
Pricing is virtually on par with the AKG, build quality is visibly better, comfort perhaps similar with a couple of provisos, the earcups are smaller than the AKG being oval rather than round, the faux leather can be a little sweaty (although velour pads can be readily found), they have a non-detachable curly cord.
That said and assuming that the K271 are similar in sound to the K240 (which I have), the bass is more visceral and has greater impact, the mids and upper registers are less dark and more forward with excellent resolution of cymbals and "tinkly bits" and a nice projection of vocals.  Overall a more varied and less bland sonic spectrum IMO.
Tony G
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 12:00pm
Thanks for the links and recommends.
I remember the first impression of my AKGs when I opened the box and saw that the AKG decal on the headband had been stuck on skew, these are not built very well. That impression never left me. However my son has a pair of K701s and they look and sound the part. It is not so much the make, it is price point/build quality.
The Sony MDR 7506 models look good and at just under £100 in the UK, so right kind of price.
Being a little, well maybe a lot, lacking in 'head covering' on top, the comfort of the band is important for extended wearing so trying a pair would be bonus. I will search out the local outlets. Sadly Sony in Plymouth have closed so it will be an internet trawl to find who keeps them.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 12:33pm
If you do not have any strongly anti-semitic feelings (or family members with such), something like these might prove both comfortable and decorative as dome protectors when using headphones.
The Sony headband does have some fairly soft foam inserted in it and I think I have even seen padded headband sleeves with press studs as an aftermarket item.
Tony G
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

I remembered this thread:

https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/superlux-hd681-evo_topic2437.html
The Superlux headphones are good value for money, but not that robust. The supporting headband has come away from the capsule on one side of my pair (being used by my son).
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

If you do not have any strongly anti-semitic feelings (or family members with such), something like these might prove both comfortable and decorative as dome protectors when using headphones.
Now that's a link I didn't expect to see!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic