FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Member- First Post- Scary or what!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Val S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Val S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member- First Post- Scary or what!!!
    Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 6:31pm
Hello,

I am very much a new boy to this level of Hi Fi discussion and as the title says, this is my first post and enquiry.

Vinyl records have been part of my life since the early 70`s and although consumption of music via digital means has not been excluded, we all know that there is something very special in sitting down, playing and listening to vinyl.

My dilema is that I am not technically orientated or educated in respect of Hi-fi equipment, although I like to think that I question and assess in a logical manner and that I also have a reasonable ear for sound.

The set up I have is most probably very basic compared to the majority discussed on this forum, but I am curious if improvements can be made to the sound quality with a few changes, namely the potential addition of pre amp and a change of cartridge if necessary.

I have a Sony TA-FB930R amp which has integrated phono inputs, my turntable is a Project Debut SE fitted with an Ortofon 510 MK11 cartridge. Speakers are B&W DM 601 S2.

I suppose what I am asking is whether the level of equipment I have would respond by enhancing the sound by the addition of a suitable phono pre amp and a change of cartridge if thought necessary.

I wait with bated breath for words of wisdom and truly look forward to being educated and for the journey to begin.

Rest assured, I will not be offended if you all think I am wasting my time and effort!!!

Thanks

Val S

Leicester.

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 8:44pm
A warm welcome to you Val.
Most integrated phono stages can easily be improved upon. Your Ortofon 510 is a reasonable cartridge and if in good condition will give good results. Which phono pre amp to choose might seem difficult given the range available. However, there is an easy way to get an idea of what is possible by using the loan scheme. If you haven't discovered it yet, it's covered in the Forum under Loan Scheme not surprisingly. In brief you can loan any of Grahams productss for 2 weeks just for the cost of the postage to and from you.
A PM to Jon (Fatmangolf) will start th process.
We're a friendly bunch, so any more questions, just ask away.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 3:53am
Hi Val,
a warm welcome from me also. 
Might I suggest trying the Gram Amp Communicator by utilising the most excellent loan scheme mentioned above.
This will allow you to evaluate the most modestly priced of the GSP offerings, this should give an indication if your expenditure in that area will be worth while to you.
On that note, have a look at the comments in this thread.
The member is a long time user of GSP phono stages and still surprised by the sound quality on offer.
IME a phono stage upgrade should precede any thought of a cartridge upgrade.
Tony G
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 7:03pm
Welcome aboard Val. I'll be glad to help with a loan, please PM me when you are ready.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Val S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Val S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 5:01pm
Ian, Tony G and Jon,

Thank you all for your warm and friendly welcome. I have been pondering on the advice being offered and it clearly seems that it is worth trying a pre amp to establish what benefit might be obtained from my system. I have checked by amp and I am fortunate that I have a spare set of inputs into which I can connect, as I assume I cannot connect into the existing phono inputs?

I certainly agree that one step at a time is the way forward and I will see what difference the pre amp makes, before considering delving into the world of cartridges [ a whole new mine field!] as suggested by Tony G.

I will contact Jon to establish how the loan system works and what I need to do to start the ball rolling.

I will let you know how I get on, but in the meantime, once again, thank you for the welcome and guidance.

Exciting times!!!

Regards

Val S
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 5:38pm
Hi Val,
Regarding the inputs to use, any line level should be OK, but not the phono input which is designed only to take the low level signal directly from a cartridge.
As Tony suggests the Gram Amp Communicator is a good starting point, you might also want to try some Cusat interconnects with it.

Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Momo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Momo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 9:39am
I was kind of faced with the same dilemma as well new cart vs phono upgrade and I am going with the phonostage should have my GSP phono by tomorrow.I have a REGA RP3 table and an ortofon red cart to be honest I am not unhappy with that cart at all and cant wait to hear how much better it will sound with the GSP upgrade.

Welcome I am a new member as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic