FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

2nd hand and new LPs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

There is (was in 2014/15) a good second hand and new record shop next to the bus station in Truro. I can't remember seeing one in the various other towns we have visited like Falmouth, Bodmin, St Ives, Launceston, St Austell, etc. but others may know better. There were plenty of charity shops with vinyl around and I think I shopped in some in Plymouth where you are!

The good second hand / new record shop is still going in Truro - it's within the Pannier Market close to the Lemon Quay piazza and bus station.

There's a good second hand record shop in Falmouth close to Trago Mills. I think there may be another one somewhere in Falmouth.

Don't know about St. Ives (pronounced locally as "S'nives"), Bodmin, etc.
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 5:38pm
Failing the shops scenario, I also highly tout Discogs. Very well self "regulated" by users and sellers. I stick to mint or near mint and try to order from same seller as a batch to save postage costs. You would not believe the amount of rare records i have obtained at chip shop prices!

Edited by dillon - 15 Feb 2018 at 5:40pm
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 7:29am
thanks all for feed back
I'll check out Discogs soon
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 9:59pm
Last time I walked down Cornwall Street from Drakes Circus there was a s/h record shop down towards the end. I seem to remember it also sold other stuff, comics or similar. As you can tell I have never bought from it.
However shops are always changing down there, could be yet another vape outlet by now!
Worth the walk though as the Oriental supermarket towards the bottom has the best spices etc in the area!
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
cncman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cncman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:31am

I'm relatively lucky in that there is a growing trend in new record stores opening in the Midlands.

However, have you ever tried any of the 2nd hand charity stores?
The likes of Oxfam, Red Cross, Sue Rider etc. etc. almost always have a selection of vinyl tucked away somewhere.
I very rarely ever entered one of these stores, but now it's a must just to check on the new vinyl stock that they have been given.
I have had some great bargains recently for a couple of pound each and they will always do you a deal if you buy several in one go.
Recently obtained a copy of one of my favourite albums for £2.50 almost brand new, complete with the CD and MP3 download code included, the local record store wanted to order it at £32.Big smile
Give them a try, you have nothing to lose!

Steve.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:17am
Sounds like a bargain and best of all you can use the saving on that favourite LP to buy more LP's to enjoy. When I visit another town or city and have free time I enjoy going through the records in its charity shops. You are right there are some bargains to be had and also some cheap but rewarding LP's you'd try for a quid or two but not buy at full price.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 06 Sep 2018 at 8:18am
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:44pm
Some method of record cleaning definitely helps to get the best from 'pre-loved' vinyl.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic