FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

2nd hand and new LPs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:46pm
Keith thanks for your reply
Never use ebay you are correct be careful, some of my friends have had trouble buying vinyl from there as for amazon i have never had any problems may be i am Lucky 
I never buy from outside the UK not willing to chance it just in case i have trouble
But thanks for the recommending them to me
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 6:58pm
I would ask around and see if there are local shops in your area that are known to grade accurately. In my area there is only one shop out of half a dozen or more I will trust to grade properly and offer no-hassle exchanges. They are closed due to Covid-19 but are doing curbside pick up and mailorder. Perhaps there is a shop in your area that does the same thing? 

Now, after going through the Discogs overgrading lottery with used vinyl I never buy from random sellers on there anymore. There are two shops I trust, which have their own website and I am a repeat buyer because they are honest graders. My last delivery from one of those stores had a problem and they quickly corrected it and credited my account. 

Basically what I'm saying is that it may take some trusted recommendations and some trial and error to find specific stores or Discogs/eBay sellers that grade accurately, pack well, etc. for used vinyl. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
rockyboris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rockyboris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 7:24am
I've always found buying vinyl records to be a crapshoot no matter where you buy them, CD's are easier but not as much fun. 

Amazon has a pretty extensive selection and they are good at taking back albums that are flawed. Before I buy any album I check out the price of a new one on Amazon. Tonight I bought a couple of albums off Discogs, I've heard nothing but good things about them and their prices are pretty reasonable. Ebay is a toss-up.

GSP Majestic Enigma PSU1
GSP Proprius
GSP Accession M Enigma PSU1
GSP interconnects
Rega Planar 6. Sumiko Blackbird cart
Klipsch Heresy Mark 4
Audio Arts cables
Rel T-7 subs
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 10:14pm
Vinyl wise, I find the odd bargain on eBay but discogs is a more reliable source albeit at slightly higher prices.

In general I don't by new vinyl, largely because the sampling rates of most recordings are still based on CD sampling rates.

Newer music I buy on CD because it's cheaper and my vinyl system cant resolve detail that isn't there.  A half speed master of CD quality recording is still limited by the source however carefully it is pressed.

For a bit of fun I suggest you find an analogue recording on vinyl you like, buy the CD and compare the two.  For example, I have the Kubelik Mahler symphony set on both vinyl and CD.  With an Accession handling  the phono stages duties the differe is almost comical.  The CD lacks both the dynamics and the details of the vinyl version.

When vinyl pressings get produced from high sampling rate files through quality DACs I'll start buying new vinyl again, but until then my vinyl purchases will stay limited to analogue recordings.

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 8:45pm
Hi James
you are correct about new vinyl if it's recorded from the CD master it's all about the sample rate. I have also read if you wont the best sound ( Analogue ) you have to go for stuff recorded pre CD as most recording studios started going digital ( remember on CDs the AAD,ADD,DDD) how it was recorded. the same go's for reissues on vinyl it has to be from the analogue master tape (so I'm told). but I have a album by a band that  recorded it in all analogue ( It's a new album) and they did not put it out on CD. they did put it out as a digital down load  some time after, well they have to make a living.. By the way remember most thought AAA was the best. Still I do like playing Vinyl more than CDs It's just thing,( it is not about the sound quality) I have good recordings on CD and vinyl
Jonathan 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 9:47pm
Here in the Brighton (UK) area, we're well served for both new and secondhand shops - though some great ones have now gone due to retirement/redevelopment, and others may not survive the Covid crisis Cry. However, s/h vinyl prices have risen a lot in recent years as part and parcel of the "resurgence" - and you're now far less likely to pick up a crate-digging bargain in the charity shops (all closed at the moment anyway).

Online, I've only ever had one naff experience on Discogs - and I've bought plenty on there over the last few years. Some sellers on there are so good that I'd travel a long way to their physical shops if they had them....Wink
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:59pm
putting it right, most thought DDD was the best sound
I have got stuff off Discogs and the sellers were great with me, most sellers can't be bad as it's a hard world out there selling Vinyl and not much profit in it
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic