FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo ULDE amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
vinylmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinylmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:20pm
In practice, my Oppo's stereo RCA output, even at 100% (where I normally have it, as it best matches my phono stage's volume), is not unusually hot.  My integrated amp has a good range of usable volume control and doesn't feel like its inputs are being over-driven.  Even so, running the Oppo directly into the Solo, or the Solo running from the Record output of the integrated, at 9 - 10 o'clock the volume is plenty loud enough for me, into (300 Ohms) Senn' HD600/HD800.

If I did want to reduce the Oppo's output, I'm not sure if it would be done in the digital domain - by throwing bits away(?) hence less good, or (better) with analogue circuitry.

Edited by vinylmad - 14 Jan 2021 at 1:32pm
Colin G.

Rega RP8/Ania Pro/Aria/Elicit-R, Neat Motive SX2, REL S2, Chord Epic RCA/Speaker; Innuos Zenith Mk.3, Oppo UDP-205, Chord Shawline USB; Solo ULDE (loaned/returned), HD600; EtherREGEN;...
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by vinylmad vinylmad wrote:

If I did want to reduce the Oppo's output, I'm not sure if it would be done in the digital domain - by throwing bits away(?) hence less good, or (better) with analogue circuitry.

The Sabre in the oppo works at 32 bits internally... so there is no perceptible loss.

Anyway, if you don't hear clipping/saturation, simply keep it this way: the Solo is meant to work that way with high impedance headphones which have good sensitivity too.

Edited by Lucabeer - 14 Jan 2021 at 1:36pm
vinylmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinylmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:44pm
Sorry, I might have misunderstood.  Would the Solo prefer it if I actually reduced the Oppo's output and aimed for a higher position on the volume control at my ideal listening level?

Edited by vinylmad - 14 Jan 2021 at 5:51pm
Colin G.

Rega RP8/Ania Pro/Aria/Elicit-R, Neat Motive SX2, REL S2, Chord Epic RCA/Speaker; Innuos Zenith Mk.3, Oppo UDP-205, Chord Shawline USB; Solo ULDE (loaned/returned), HD600; EtherREGEN;...
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by vinylmad vinylmad wrote:

Sorry, I might have misunderstood.  Would the Solo prefer it if I actually reduced the Oppo's output and aimed for a higher position on the volume control at my ideal listening level?

I think you'd prefer it.

(the Solo is just a machine) Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
vinylmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinylmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 4:06pm
I've now returned the loaner Solo, so my thanks to John C. for organising that.

Having pulled up a dining chair next to my setup while I've been trying the Solo, I've realised a fundamental problem when sat in my easy chair some 4 metres away: my arm isn't long enough to adjust the volume!  Not so much a problem for CD/digital sources as I can remote control my Oppo's line output.  For vinyl it would be a different matter.  How do other Solo users manage the volume with vinyl?  Do they set it at the beginning of a side and leave it, or do they normally sit close enough to reach the control?

Edited by vinylmad - 20 Jan 2021 at 4:07pm
Colin G.

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:59pm
vinylmad
I find that I only use a remote when playing a CD on the CD player (skipping tracks) As for volume I set that when I'm at my system. But i'm  lucky my Solo is near where I sit, but I don't often adjust the volume. I think remotes have made us laze. They are good for somethings like changing channels on TVs,  setting up a home cinema system or if you got multi room audio, and really how often are you going to alter the volume any way . If you are vinyl mad then you have to get up out of your chair to turn over the LP to play the other side so you can adjust the volume then. Ha Ha. Back to CDs do you find that when playing an album you tend to listen to the whole album when it's on vinyl  but on CDs you skip tracks I find I do 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:10pm
I’m someone who doesn’t like the extra weight of a long cable run. It means I’m seated within touching distance of Solo and turntable.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic