FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hello from Canada

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Canada
    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 8:08pm
Greetings !

Since I made my first post yesterday I thought an introduction was required.

My name is Bill and I’m from Ottawa, Canada - currently a balmy -2C and snowing. Perfect weather for keeping warm and listening to music.

Initially I visited Grahams site for more information on the Majestic / Proprius combo and subsequently I have contacted Keith in Toronto to arrange a loan of these.

My listening rig is primarily digital playing FLAC rips via a dedicated PC running JRiver and CDs on a transport. 

Recently I purchased a TEAC TN300 and have been exploring vinyl. I’m listening to Fleet Foxes on vinyl right now through the phono input of my Rega Elicit-R. (I’m not sure if I should be naming equipment here. Is it OK to list non GS gear?). It sounds very good but I wonder how much better it would be with a GS phono amp. 

Thanks Graham, for providing for a great owners forum. I hope to be a GSP owner soon.

Cheers for now.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 8:15pm
sorry for the big text. Not trying to be loud.
 Copied text from my Ipad into the forum and didn’t realise that the font had grown. Embarrassed
thewebster62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thewebster62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 11:35am
Hi Bill

Welcome to the forum from a fellow newbie!

What sort of PC are you using - is it anything special?

I'm currently in the process of 'trying out' the Lautus USB cable as I too do a great deal of listening via PC connected to a Rega Dac-R using Foobar software - mostly flac & hi-res files.
I'm hoping to achieve a sound quality that is comparable to CD and the early signs are promising.Wink

Ian
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:50pm
Welcome to the forum, Bill!

BTW we try not to name products from other manufacturers who compete directly with Graham. Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 1:54pm
Hi Ian,
Its a dedicated PC running JRiver. It has 16gb memory with windows 7 OS booting from an SSD.
It has some spinning drives for music storage. 
I set up JRiver to play completely from memory ie the whole track is loaded into memory before playing.
I use ASIO playback through USB to a Yellowtec PUC2 convertor which outputs SPDIF to a Chord 2Qute DAC. The DAC runs on a dedeicated linear PSU too. 
The sound i get from this rig is very, very, good. I have to add that the PC does not run anything else that is not needed. No office, no email, nothing.
I would like to try a dedicated PSU for the PUC2 as it currently gets its 5v from the USB connection. 

..... but in saying all that I would love to try Grahams Majestic which should happen in the next month or so.

Bill
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:36pm
Bill and Ian, welcome from me too.
The Majestic certainly brings digital based sytems to life. I like to keep things simple, so for me it's a storage is 2x500GB SSDs connected to a Raspberry Pi3 with Digi + Pro feeding SPDIF to my Majestic. All files kept in order with Foobar, ripping courtesy of dBPoweramp on my Windows laptop. Separating the Majestic (electrically) from all but the Pi certainly pays dividends and means no USB connections involved.

Happy Listening
Ian

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 4:46pm
Hi Ian and thanks for the welcome.
I too like to keep things simple but hifi seems to grow arm and legs in the pursuit of better sound. A ‘reset’ is required every so often. That is why the Majestic appeals to me - Lots of digital inputs, analog input and volume control. Just add 2 Proprius.
I have often considered the Pi as a server but the more i looked into it I got confused with all the techy stuff and gave up. I would like to discuss this more with you and other members but I fear we may have worn out our welcome in this section of the forum. I’ll open up a new post in the appropriate area.

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic