FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GDPR & Graham Slee OK?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GDPR & Graham Slee OK?
    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 6:36am
On May 25th 2018 - 15 weeks away - GDPR comes into force which aims to protect internet users from being inundated with spammy newsletter emails.

Anybody sending such emails can be tasked with providing proof they have the recipient's permission to send to him/her, or be faced with a hefty fine (or be put in an iron coffin with spikes on the inside!).

The "Won't you stay" emails sent out to current subscribers ask them to resubscribe using this form here: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/about/grahamsleeok-newsletter.html

This form uses what's called "double opt-in" as well as protection from spambots to ensure the new contacts list only includes recipients who have given their permission.

Here I am using a mail server known as Mailchimp whose credentials are squeaky clean, and examination of the new list will show every single subscriber has given permission.

Interestingly, out of 4345 existing subscribers, 536 have chosen to stay so far.

Quite a few of the 4345 are duplicates because the number spans two lists...

2125 are forum members, and 2220 are customers who subscribed, but there are forum members who are also customers, so it is hard to guess how many individuals this covers, but I will hazard a guess at 3000.

In the past, putting members of a club or association on a mailing list would have been OK, but not now. There are nearly 2800 members on here, but the number of resubscribes is only 536, including some non-members.

Even though we can boast 2800 members the truth is we probably only have 500 or so who take their membership seriously.

I'm sure you've received possibly two or more emails asking you to resubscribe, and some have replied complaining about this as being spam.

If you received 2 it is because 1. you bought from me in the past, and 2. you are a member here, and the customer and forum lists were seperate to allow club forum emails to be sent only to members.

If you received more than that it is because you have multiple emails on one or both lists.

I am expected to know all 4345 and sort this? Sorry, I'm not that brainy. The new single list will consolidate multiples of the same email address but it cannot tell if you have two different email addresses.

Neither am I any good at segmenting and so there will be reminders sent to those who have already re-subscribed, and I'm sure this will cause much annoyance with me. Ouch

Those who are annoyed with me for being such a simple human being who is incapable of the devious ways of marketing manipulataion can always elect to unsubscribe from my innocence. Wink

But the hope is you will not.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:17am
Graham, I'm here to stay.
My "feedback" on being contacted twice was more in the spirit of advising software problems than complaining. Perhaps I should not have made light of it.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Graham, I'm here to stay.
My "feedback" on being contacted twice was more in the spirit of advising software problems than complaining. Perhaps I should not have made light of it.

Ian

Ian, I didn't mean you. And I never noticed you making light of it. Hug

There have been one or two taking the rise. And another one or two wanting me to re-subscribe them, but the rules say I cannot do that. There have also been cases of the bot filter captcha not working but that was due to the numbers of re-subscribes happening at the same time.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm
I re-subscribed over the weekend too & have confirmed via the second mail (no issue with any number of emails from GSP/HFSC).
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 3:28pm
I think Graham's email on this subject warned that one might receive multiple requests. I received two; I confirmed my wish to stay in response to the first and merely ignored the second. No big deal.
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:40pm
No problem, I'm doing our GDPR and it's not fun here either. Regarding your e mail opt-ins, it is no trouble Graham and I'd rather resubscribe twice and get two HFC updates than none!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 11:06pm
Graham,
I've resubscribed once, having had two mails...
It's been a while, and I can't claim I'm that active - more a lurker..
Was on the prior site I think (2009/2010) and just pop in occasionally..
Hope to be back more frequently as a new project may bring the need for some new toys...

All best from the soggy NW.

D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic