FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

AC to AC supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 4:24pm
Hi Lawrence

1. I had an AG1500 for several years & used an extension lead with multiple devices attached. The current draw was well within the capabilities of that unit - you will need to check against the 500w model. 
2. Yes, there was an improvement but not huge with my system (see below). Voltage was rock steady though.
3. From my own experience I would take the PSU1 over the regenerator, especially if you listen to a lot of vinyl. I preferred to keep turntables/phono stages running on the main house circuit and away from amps and digital gear via the regenerator. The system sounded significantly smoother this way.
4. I don't believe a home trial is possible, however the guy who purchased my old unit also lives in Leeds and is a friend so I could ask him if you would be able to listen to his system.

(I stopped using the power regenerator when we installed a Solar PV system with inverter/battery backup so voltage became stable throughout the house)
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 4:31pm
As suggested I have found digital sources tend to benefit more than analogue (vinyl anyway) from improved mains quality.
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 7:58pm
Hi rantalot!  I'm hoping you still monitor this forum. 

You were very enthusiastic about the improvement gained by installing the AC Regenerator.  I'm on the brink of taking the plunge and buying the 500W version that you bought! 
Your post at the time was based (I think) on FM tuner listening.  But what I'm most anxious about is getting improvement in the CD reproduction.  Can you comment on that from your experience?  Much obliged if you can offer some feedback!
rantalot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rantalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:23pm
SmileI didn't listen to cd much as I always thought the sound was inferior to vinyl but after installing the ac/ac converter and listening to cd I can see that my original judgement was more influenced by poor mains quality rather than the ability of cd. The sound quality improvement is across all mediums.

Norman
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by rantalot rantalot wrote:

SmileI didn't listen to cd much as I always thought the sound was inferior to vinyl but after installing the ac/ac converter and listening to cd I can see that my original judgement was more influenced by poor mains quality rather than the ability of cd. The sound quality improvement is across all mediums.

Remarkable.  Thanks.  No escaping it - I've really got to get this piece of equipment...! Thumbs Up

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 10:35am
Hi Baflar,
I'd just add my recommendation for the PowerInspired regenerators.
I've had an AG1500 for several years & it has been completely reliable.
It looks a little 'industrial' but is nevertheless well made & supplies a rock steady 230V AC.
It makes the system sound consistent throughout the day - before I sometimes felt it sounded
slightly 'off' in the early evening. 

Edited by RichW - 10 Apr 2018 at 10:36am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Hi Baflar,
I'd just add my recommendation for the PowerInspired regenerators.
I've had an AG1500 for several years & it has been completely reliable.
[...]
It makes the system sound consistent throughout the day - before I sometimes felt it sounded
slightly 'off' in the early evening. 

Thanks, Rich for your extra 'nudge' to the purchase.  I'm convinced that the power supply in this house is distinctly ropey: light bulbs last a small fraction of the advertised time; dimmable bulbs spontaneously brighten, or dim; the stroboscopic speed checker on the turntable shows a slightly different speed every time I check it.  There have been several small indicators towards convincing me that an AC regenerator would be worthwhile - not least the comments on this forum!  (Not to mention the fact that Graham Slee is critical of standard AC power: an opinion worth quite a lot.)  Anyway - hot news - I have actually ordered a PowerInspired 500W regenerator, a couple of hours ago!  I'll report back at some point...

You might be interested that it was my buying a Slee Gram Amp Communicator phono stage that indirectly prompted this investigation into power regenerators.  The Slee phono pre-amp made such a great improvement to the vinyl reproduction that I began to question whether my CDs could really be so obviously inferior.  And given that they didn't sound so good, I started to wonder about the other sources too.  Fingers crossed - I'm hoping that this purchase will get the whole shebang performing as well as it can!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic