FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Vinyl Quality Experience

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:30pm
Two recent new records I've received have been pressed well:

The first one is Pure Pleasure's reissue of Billy Harper's Capra Black. Great 70s jazz originally on the Strata East label. 

The other is a reissue on the Paradise of Bachelors label of Mike Cooper's Trout Steel. Semi-obscure singer-songwriter stuff with some jazz and psychedelic touches. 

Both recommended. 
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 2:58pm
I have also had my share of quality issues with new releases even from the best pressing plants.
Recently had an issue with Muddy Waters 45 rpm from Analogue Productions - surface noise that I could not clean away.

Even with a MoFi 1-step of Stevie Ray Vaughan - this was actually more cosmetic than functional although I expect perfection at that price.

On the plus side 95% of what I buy has been great and online stores such as Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds have excellent customer service and in both cases sent me replacement discs without hesitation.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
hippyeverafter View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hippyeverafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:26pm
I have a copy of Lol Creme/Kevin Godley " Consequences " Cleaned the three discs with my Project VCS and I must say they sound superb considering it was released in 1977 and would put my modern pressings to shame!.
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:43pm
How do you like your Project VCS? I have yet to invest in a machine. Been doing it using Spin-Clean. How loud is it?
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
hippyeverafter View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hippyeverafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:15am
The Project VCS does what it says on the tin. It is essential for cleaning new records then putting them in a replacement anti static sleeve. Made the mistake once playing a new purchase before cleaning and you would not believe the crap left on the stylus after playing. It is fairly noisy so best to shut the door or use when the other half is not at home but I normally only use it on one album at a time. Also it is fairly heavy so needs to be in a static location although I have utilised an old HiFi stand on casters so store it in a cupboard.
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:18am
The Moth is also a good cleaner & is the same idea as the VCS. It's quite loud - similar to a domestic vacuum cleaner but not so bad that you need ear defenders as some report.
A cleaner like this - or an ultrasonic - is almost essential for anyone getting back into vinyl seriously.
As Terry says, even new records are often full of muck & static & many 2nd hand ones play
beautifully after a clean.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:00pm
I support Rich's comments about the benefits and necessity of record cleaning.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic