FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Vinyl Quality Experience

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
hippyeverafter View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hippyeverafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Vinyl Quality Experience
    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 10:57am
I have been listening to Vinyl since the late Sixties and a had modest collection of about 400 LP's and almost all bog standard copies not worth trying to sell on!. A couple of years ago I made the decision to donate them all to charity and rebuild with a more eclectic library. As I had most on CD ( Now ripped to FLAC )and in digital it was not a hard decision to make and so now I have about 100 LP's including boxed sets purchased since then. My experience with the quality of these newly acquired titles ranges from excellent ( no surface noise, pops or clicks ) to downright taking the Mick. For example two Eric Clapton boxed sets that were so dirty ( Looks like they had been dragged along the floor ) to loud pops and clicks and being unplayable. The latest disaster was a " Stranger Things " limited edition boxed set that was so noisy that at times it was hard to hear any music at all, These and others were sent back  for an exchange or refund. Incidentally I always clean new Vinyl on my RCM. As far as I am aware rarely had this experience in the past. Vinyl may be in a resurgence phase but Caveat EmptorAngry.
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 9:56pm
Wise words of warning. I buy and clean (using a RCM as you do) more second hand vinyl than new releases. Similar experiences to you on the latter Terry, some great cuts and some atrocious with a few sounding like squashed digital mixed cut too hot onto vinyl.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:07am
Like Jon, I tend to buy second hand l.p.s and clean them on a r.c.m..
The majority of the new stuff I have bought has been awful, clicks, pops, very poor with regards sound quality, scuffs and scratches on the record surface (sealed copies), warped etc.. Most returned to sender for refund then a used, original sought.
Don't get me started on the proudly emblazoned "digitally remastered" (on re-issues) either.LOL

Edited by oldagetraveller - 05 Feb 2018 at 8:09am
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 12:13pm
For me recent new vinyl purchases have also been a bit of a mixed bag. The most recent, The Secret Sisters You Don't Own Me Anymore, was however first class in all areas. In fact the fella responsible for the vinyl cut even gets a credit on the liner notes. 

Had an unusual experience last year with a MoFi Ultradisc box set. Having been a long time fan of Donald Fagen's The Nightfly I thought I'd treat myself to this limited edition version. It was ordered direct from the US last May and box set #816 duly arrived in October following release. 

The two records were put through a RCM and I thought I'd do a back-to-back comparison with my 1982 original copy. So side one of the old version was played first and then the needle dropped on the first track of LP One of the Ultradisc...but it wasn't I.G.Y. that I heard but New Frontier which is the first track of LP Two.

Somehow the most expensive record I've ever purchased only had 75% of the music as tracks 5 and 6 had been duplicated and appeared on both discs!

Complained to MoFi and photographed the inscribed matrix info of all four sides and emailed it to them and eventually - last week - a correct LP One arrived.  

The Ultradisc version is a treat to listen to and maybe I've got the only three-disc box set of The Nightfly in the universe!   

Edited by McHolmeM - 05 Feb 2018 at 12:26pm
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 2:09pm
Thanks Malcolm - on Saturday I played the original Nightfly LP to a friend who wanted to listen to my system & although it is beautifully mastered, I have always felt that some tracks seem a bit bass light. In what ways does the Ultradisk improve on the original please?
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 3:35pm
I find it's all a bit variable, though 'back in the day' when all we had was vinyl it could be pretty shoddy then too. I realise we're paying a premium for vinyl now and expect something for it but, perhaps our expectations are too high? Recently, most of the new vinyl I've bought has been ok and I tend to be selective when it comes to used stuff. Either way, it all goes through an RCM first.
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:19pm
In answer to your question, Andrew, the word that springs to mind is expansive. 

The Ultradisc One-Step process appears to lift a veil on the music with the result that the presentation within the soundstage is enhanced in a pleasant unified manner which draws the listener in. The tuneful bass is certainly 'fatter' and deeper; in addition the multi-layered backing vocals are more prominent across the soundstage. 

Not a lot wrong with the original vinyl but this version elevates the music to a whole new level of enjoyment.

Maybe sound even better with an Accession MC...perhaps time to consider upgrading my Reflex C (which celebrates its third birthday this month)!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic