FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Humming along with Rega

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
jphabc54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jphabc54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 1:22pm
I have a Planar 2 (2016) that is only about 45 days old and have hum problems as well. I suspect a grounding issue in the arm, as with mine it dissipates when I place my hand on the arm near the counterweight. No source is dead quiet on my Rogue CMII, but there’s an extra buzz with the Rega.

Thankfully for now it doesn’t affect SQ on anything but extremely quiet classical passages. While I separately work on getting some warranty support, BAK has graciously sent me the Reflex M under the loaner program. Not to get off topic, but — wow — really, really impressed!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 10:41pm
That does sound like an arm earthing issue, is it a low frequency hum or a buzz you hear? And which cartridge do you have please?

On a nearly new Planar 2 I doubt you'll be doing what I did after a couple of years but you could use your hand to check these out. On my P3-24 I found some cartridges were more prone to a low level hum hum than others, especially on the inner tracks which I believe is due to the AC motor. I tried two mods that helped me:

1) Using a jubilee clip to clamp a stripped back earth wire to the bearing shaft which I ran to the preamp ground screw
2) I opened up the 24 volt motor compartment and grounded the metal motor casing. I used a thin saw to cut a shallow groove then soldered a ground wire to it.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jphabc54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jphabc54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:09am
Thanks for the tips!  I have some grounding wire that I’ll use to see if option one makes a difference. 

It’s definitely seems like a buzz to me, rather than a hum. I have a slight hum on all inputs on my tube amp, but the buzz appears when I use any input attached to the Rega.  I've chased ground loops through the whole system.  The only thing that seems to directly affect the buzz at all is touching the counterweight.

I have tried an Ortofon 2M Blue and the stock Carbon cartridge. Buzz was a little less pronounced with the Carbon, but generally the same symptoms and partial cure (touching the counterweight).  There is a tighter connection with the Carbon, since the pins are a bit fatter than the Ortofon, but I'm not sure how much stock to put into loose connections on the Ortofon.  I've been able to get the tags pretty secure on the Ortofon.

One other thing — the buzz gets worse when I touch the sides of the pivot brace.

I did check all the leads (live and ground) and all four seem to have continuity, but I'm not an expert with a multimeter by any stretch.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 7:14am
Hum and buzz are different. On 50Hz mains, hum describes 50Hz and buzz describes the rectified waveform which is 100Hz. For it to be rectified requires obviously a rectifying device which is not present in the turntable or cartridge or cables.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
jphabc54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jphabc54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:37pm
Thanks for the helpful clarification. I used a spectrum analyzer on my phone and confirmed that it is a hum, peaking at 50hz, not a buzz. I’m new at this!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:16pm
Following Graham's point about hum versus buzz with your test that does seem to be a grounding issue. You may already have considered contacting the dealer and asking them to replace the unit or fix the problem?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jphabc54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jphabc54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:22pm
Thanks Jon -- yes, that is correct -- I am going to work with the dealer to fully diagnose and repair.  I appreciate everyone's input.  I need the turntable in peak condition since I just placed an order for my very own Reflex M.  After a few days trial, I can't imagine listening to vinyl without it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic