FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession finally here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
pcourtney View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcourtney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:33pm
I have been using my Accession for nearly 18 months, and I have no need to go back to MC, no doubt many will say how good the Accession MC is, and some will say now much better it is than the Accession MM, more fool them I say :-)
GS Accession MM Pre, Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 Amp and AKG K-1000 headphones
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by pcourtney pcourtney wrote:

I have been using my Accession for nearly 18 months, and I have no need to go back to MC, no doubt many will say how good the Accession MC is, and some will say now much better it is than the Accession MM, more fool them I say :-)

There seems to be a lot of hype surrounding pricey MCs - why are many of these carts hyper-expensive?
Ortofon Cadenza Blue MC played through Elevator EXP & Accession MM sounds sensational & it'll be interesting to compare this with the Accession MC - with an open mind.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 1:17pm
Cartridges are the most difficult item to audition really given delicacy etc so the buying experience may be different to other hardware.

Pretty much Everyone will have a capped price point beyond which they will not venture just a case of where £100,£200,£500, £1000, £2000, £5000 etc.

Most of us would never consider the upper end koetsus, dynavectors, lyras and the like but I wouldn't knock them without trying them first; as stated keeping an open mind however silly the pricing may seem

Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Ortofon Cadenza Blue MC played through Elevator EXP & Accession MM sounds sensational & it'll be interesting to compare this with the Accession MC - with an open mind.

This is a comparison many of us are looking forward to listening to.

The Elevator/Reflex MM combination fared much better than the Reflex MC in my opinion so it promises to be a very interesting listen...when it's available Wink
Derek
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 2:55pm
I can't wait to do the comparison! Smile
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 11:45pm
My two cents is that MC can be better, but it seems to be a bit program dependent. I used an Ortofon 2M Black for quite a while, and really enjoyed it. I tended to listen to my pop collection quite a bit more than my classical collection, but I thought it was just a phase.

However, a little while ago the opportunity for a low-mileage Rega Apheta 2 came up, and I took it. Of course, that meant I had to buy the EXP as well, but that’s just fine, as it will service all future MC purchases. Listening to pop/rock records was modestly better than on the Black, and I wondered if my investment was really worth it. Then I played some of my classical material and then I realised I’d done the right thing. The extra separation, the more focused AND broader soundstage, and the significant jump in texture and low level dynamics was blatantly obvious. It added to my enjoyment of the music immensely. Jazz records tend to benefit from much more texture of instruments and a more realistic stage presence.

When I return to pop albums they sound a bit more slickly produced, but the cost wouldn’t be worth it to me. Jazz and classical the cost is a no brainer for me.

I’d be very interested to hear the new top of the line Clearaudio MM, which retails for roughly the same price as the Apheta 2. At the same time, I’m hanging out to hear the Hana and Shelter carts many here are so happy with, which are also much cheaper.

My 50th birthday is five years and four months away. If I give up my morning coffee purchase ($3.50 a day), then I could save more than $6,500 by then. Hmm...
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
savakntr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savakntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 4:55am
As a respectful forum member here, recently had texted me, from a certain level of system combination and beyond, the word better just means different.
And he is absolutely right.

After my recent upgrade from my last phono to the Accession MM the result was better for sure, the sound quality was audibly better.
After my recent upgrade from the Thorens TD 2035 to my new VPI signature the result was absolutely better. The mass of the new turntable, the new platter, the motor and the tone arm construction gave me a better ,for sure, sound just right out of the box.

However, giving Bob’s text much thought, I understand that he is right when it comes to cartridges of a certain level (and I would add on this the Cables ) the sound result can’t be described as better or worse but as different.

And at least in my case the combination of the MC cartridge, Elevator and Accession is producing a different sound experience which I am really enjoying.

To put it in simple words, I am usually playing two records to see the effect of the changes I am making to my HiFi system: the Ozone percussion record and the Music Pickup Test record, both from Clearaudio. Both records, after the described changes, gave me an outstanding different experience which I am really enjoying.

In this context I am waiting to listen to the new Accession MC just to see how different is comparing to the combo Accession MM and Elevator

Have a nice day all

Edited by savakntr - 01 Mar 2018 at 4:58am
If you aren’t thoroughly confused, you haven’t been thoroughly informed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic