FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

AKG K240 STUDIO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
mal4mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mal4mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 12:15pm
There are a lot of complaints about the build quality of the AKG K240 STUDIO on Amazon.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by mal4mac mal4mac wrote:

There are a lot of complaints about the build quality of the AKG K240 STUDIO on Amazon.

Of 81 reviews, 81% of purchasers were extremely pleased or delighted.

Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 4:05pm
I agree. These headphones are a steal. In my opinion the tonal balance have some similarities with the HD250. I also think the 702 is a great headphone, but they are less forgiving compared to the 240´s and the tonal balance is different. Once in a time 240 was a very well built headphone and a studio standard tool, but since they moved production to China many are of the opinion they have become less well built. There is also a MK II version, and to my knowledge it is exactly the same headphone except the colour. However, the MK II are delivered with an extra pair of ear-pads - a pair of velour if that is preferred. Also an exchangeable spiral and straight cable.

Last year (I think it was) Harman Kardon (Who owned AKG) was sold to Samsung. (Now Samsung smartphones are delivered with AKG earplugs - that is with a AKG logotype put on it. I doubt they have anything to do with AKG in Vienna. Samsung didn´t buy know how, they bought a brand.) The Vienna AKG headquarter have been shut down, so we can probably expect AKG to disappear from the market in a not to very distant future. Anyone considering these headphones ought to bay a pair now. As Graham said, these can´s are surprisingly good.

Edited by Humboldt - 07 May 2018 at 4:06pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 10:34pm
As HD540II headphones seem to be more difficult for me to source these days and HD250II headphones are even more rare to appear online, perhaps I should consider either a K240 Studio or K702. They won't beat the K1000 but I don't need them to; I just need them to be more practical. The K1000 tie up a lot of funds and as I can only use them at home (amplification and quiet environment), I may as well use speakers there instead. Something like the K702 is more portable and I've never tried them. I've listened to many Sennheiser HD250/HD540 drivers quite extensively, which share almost identical driver designs to one another. Their diameters are both 36mm, if I recall correctly, and my former HD800 has a 56mm (20mm larger) driver, which is partially responsible for its larger stereo image size, in my opinion. I believe that the K702 has a driver diameter between 36mm and 56mm, maybe 45mm?? I can't remember what I read. But anyway, I reckon this should give it a dynamic advantage over the HD250/HD540 models, assuming its amplitude is fairly even across the frequencies. HD800 had exceptional microdynamics due to it large driver surface and I would hope the K702 is pretty close. Maybe I should get one off Ebay. Velvet pads too and I'm aware of how much earpad properties can alter headphone sound. Graham, how does K240 Studio compare with your K701??

Edited by Ash - 07 May 2018 at 10:38pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Graham, how does K240 Studio compare with your K701??

I daren't say Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:52am
HD250 and AKG 702 (and AKG 702 is soundwise the same as 701) are very diferent headphones. AKG 702 is very "airy" and linear. They need very well mixed and mastered recordings. In those cases the are wonderfoul because of their clarity and kind of sparkling sound. They lower end is not pronounced in any way, and many recordings may therefore have a thin so und in the low end. AKG 240 has a sligthly elevated lower midrange and low-end compared to AKG 702. We are still talking about a very linear headphone, but it has a touch of warmth where AKG 701/702 can be to analytical and cold. As I wrote in a previous post, in my opinion, Sennheiser HD250 and AKG 240 are not very diferent when compared. AKG 702 on the other hand is something else.

Edited by Humboldt - 08 May 2018 at 8:56am
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Humboldt Humboldt wrote:

HD250 and AKG 702 (and AKG 702 is soundwise the same as 701) are very diferent headphones. AKG 702 is very "airy" and linear. They need very well mixed and mastered recordings. In those cases the are wonderfoul because of their clarity and kind of sparkling sound. They lower end is not pronounced in any way, and many recordings may therefore have a thin so und in the low end. AKG 240 has a sligthly elevated lower midrange and low-end compared to AKG 702. We are still talking about a very linear headphone, but it has a touch of warmth where AKG 701/702 can be to analytical and cold. As I wrote in a previous post, in my opinion, Sennheiser HD250 and AKG 240 are not very diferent when compared. AKG 702 on the other hand is something else.

Thumbs Up
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic