FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

AKG K240 STUDIO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AKG K240 STUDIO
    Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 7:27pm
Out of the blue whilst researching something else on the web I found myself reading about AKG headphones, and the AKG K240 Studio caught my eye. Good things were being said about them in professional circles so I thought I'd take a look at the price.

At £56 I was quite taken aback! Obviously they can't be much good for that money?!

Wrong!

I'm impressed! Using them with a Bitzie playing FLACs from my PC, volume set to 3 o'clock position, so far I cannot fault them. Imaging is, dare I say it, first class. Tone is spot on. Timing good.

And I'm hearing things my trusty HD250 II don't let me hear.

Fantastic bang for the buck (as they say). Hope they don't bed in badly.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 9:44pm
At that low price I may buy a pair, please keep us posted Graham.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:27pm
Two weeks with the AKG K240 Studio headphones, and they are revealing much more. Digital recordings seem to be reproduced better and the newspaper sound on Jean Michel Jarre's Aero is incredibly real. Vinyl can sound a little muddy if the volume is too high. This is distortion of sorts, but reducing the volume a little makes everything clean and clear. Tonal balance is far better than the K701 and much less fatiguing. Pink Floyd's live album Delicate Sound of Thunder sounds slightly restrained in places but between songs you can just about make out conversations in the crowd with pinpoint positioning. They pull off the ground shaking bass quite well too. Obviously the ground isn't shaking at all, but that's how it can be perceived on a good headphone performance, either that or I'm from another planet (possible...Wink).

They are not the last word in comfort by a long shot, and they are adorned with raised resin stickers for cheapness (as is an expensive amplifier I think), but for £56 I am not complaining. If you can spare £56 give them a try.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
mal4mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mal4mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:15pm
What Hi Fi tend to give AKG budget headphones good marks, some 5/5 and "best buy", but this only gets 3/5:

"Play I Am Arrows' Nice Try and they're initially very pleasing, offering-up a smooth and fluid performance that bounces along to the chirpy tune.

The vocals are clear and direct, but there's a very pleasant airiness to the overall presentation, and the tonal balance is very even.

There are flaws, though: that smooth fluidity comes at the expense of the drive, punch and detail that the best are capable of producing, and they also lack the insight and dynamic subtlety to deliver the low-level nuances"

Can you really get a decent headphone for £50? 

How do these compare to top rated £300 headphones (e.g., Senn HD 650) when using a decent £300 headphone amp (Novo!) and CD player (Nad 5420, or maybe a more modern thing like Marantz CD6005?)
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 4:04pm
"Can you really get a decent headphone for £50?"

Yes. You could have bought a very good headphone for $34 before they were discontinued. https://www.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_306291.html
They really are much better than their price indicates. The reviews back that up.

Edited by oldagetraveller - 13 Feb 2018 at 4:06pm
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 7:51pm
Sennheiser HD600/HD650 aren't particularly high fidelity (they're not precise). I would not personally select them for professional applications. Price is meaningless; marketing is an entirely different world to sound engineering. For precision and closed-back monitoring, I would go and get a Sennheiser HD250.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:17pm
Agree with Ash and Graham's long standing recommendation of HD250/II's. Sadly long out of production unless you know someone like Ash who takes the time to refurbish them.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic