FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

which one???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SiE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which one???
    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 3:11pm
After years of happily listening to my music via Apple Play, I'm putting together another vinyl front end. At the moment, I've got as far as the turntable (an SME model 10) and the arm (an Audiomod classic 2) and cartridges I already own are: Shure V15 3s, Denon moving coil and Goldring 1042.  I would like to buy a Graham Slee phono stage on the basis that they seem excellent value for money, well reviewed and capable of performing at a level that matches the other pieces in the front end, however, I'm at a loss to know which of the many GS phono stages to choose - any advice?
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 6:03pm
Welcome to the forum, Simon!

The short answer to you question is "the best you can afford/want to spend"!

Those cartridges in an Audiomods arm on an SME 10 (I'm drooling already!) demand the best. You probably know this forum operates a loan scheme - borrow an Accession and you won't want to send it back. Wink And is that a low output Denon MC? Borrow an Elevator step-up amp to go with it.

Drop a PM to Jon (aka Fatmangolf) to arrange of loan of whichever kit you'd like to try (and interconnects too).  

I'm sure you'll be thrilled at the sound coming from your records . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 6:36pm
Tip: to send Fatmangolf a PM find one of his posts and click the drop-down menu to the right of his username then click Send Private Message.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:17am
Hi Simon, I'm ready to help when you contact me by PM.

Bob's recommendation is a good one and would be a lifetime investment. I run that combination of units and it brings my records to life via my Transfiguration Phoenix on modified arm SME IV and Michell Gorbe deck.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
SiE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 11:26am
Thanks, guys - all very encouraging! I've kind-of got the ball rolling by buying a "previously loved" Gram Amp 2 Communicator. I understand this was one of the earlier designs that went some way to setting the standard of GS's value for money phono amps which will give me a good idea of what's possible at the entry level. In the past, I've used on-board phono stages from Naim and Quad and, most successfully, following a recommendation from my dear old chum Umit Kayacan, a large Avi integrated amp, which he pointed out, had a lovely phono stage in it.
From what folk have already said, I can expect decent dedicated phono stage to be a step up from this starting point.
Later on, the loan scheme can give me access to higher-end options so I can explore what's possible - how exciting! I'm glad I joined!
DTB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:02pm
Greetings GSP Forum!

I just signed up today and would appreciate some advice.  I have never had an outboard phono stage but have read numerous times that they are (usually) superior to integrated and think I should finally look into. I should say I like what I have at the moment but think that some greater detail and drive might work for me.  

My current system is a Systemdek IIX with a modfied Rega RB250 arm (Cardas rewire and Michell counterweight) and a Goldring 1042 MM cartridge / Roksan Kandy K2 integrated amp / Monitor Audio Silver 8 floorstanding speakers.  

My musical tastes include a range of rock and indie and some electronic music with occasional explorations of classical. 

In the scheme of things I am not sure where the Roksan Kandy phono stage sits and grateful for advice on what might be an improvement in quality i.e. would the Gram Amp 2 SE give a big leap in quality over the built in phono stage on the Kandy K2 or do I need to set my sights higher?  

Any feedback will be very greatly received.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by DTB DTB wrote:

In the scheme of things I am not sure where the Roksan Kandy phono stage sits and grateful for advice on what might be an improvement in quality i.e. would the Gram Amp 2 SE give a big leap in quality over the built in phono stage on the Kandy K2 or do I need to set my sights higher?  

Any feedback will be very greatly received.

Welcome to the Forum Derek.
The Gram Amp 2SE would certainly bring an improvement. Probably worth making use of the loan scheme to find out how much of an improvement. You might also try further up the range, perhaps the Reflex M, it's only going to cost you postage for the units. A PM to Jon, aka Fatmangolf will get things underway. A week or so of listening in your own home is really worth it.

Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic