FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Reflex C or Revelation C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mark.Campbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark.Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex C or Revelation C
    Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 9:34pm
Dear All,

I wanted to get some forum advice on choosing between a Reflex C or Revelation C pre-amp phono stages in my system.

At present I play records on a Michell Gyrodec TT fitted with a SME IV and Sumiko Blue Point EVO III / Dynavector 10x5 MC carts. (I also have a Thorens TD-160 thanks to my father-in-law and am working on rebuilding a Lenco.) After the phono pre-amp I run through a custom passive pre-amp into a rebuilt Leak Stereo 20, which outputs to Tannoy Gold Devon speakers. I like the musicality and vintage aspect of this sound, balanced against the transparency, cleanness and soundstage of the vinyl end. I listen to a lot of different genres of music, but mainly want the sound to be calibrated to jazz, classic era rock /metal and soundtracks. A significant proportion of my records are pre RIAA.

I’ve used a GRAM AMP 2 for 15 years and Jon recently loaned me the Reflex C, which sounded great. What I was wondering about was opinions on the Revelation C as a choice in this set-up? Given their closeness in cost, price is less an issue than sound.

Any advice greatly appreciated, many thanks, Mark

< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:02am
First of all I am glad the loan was helpful and the Reflex C is a very good phono stage. A few years back I decided to buy a Revelation M rather than a Reflex M in order to get the switchable EQ options for old records. Based on your comments above I suggest buying the former like I did. There are various old threads on here where happy users describe the Revelation.

As you'll know alread the EQ is described by the rolloff of the high filter, by its cut at 10 kilo Hertz compared to the level at 1 kHz. Set to RIAA (-13.7dB) the Revelation sounded just as good as the Reflex but it came into its own on the many secondhand LP's from the 1950's and 1960's which sounded quite dull until I used the -11dB and then they came to life. Occasionally I use the -16dB (Colombia/NAB) to tame trebly mixes, usually from the 1980's! There is also a low frequenct filter which I fiound helpful on some old records that were boomy or conversely lacked body.

The Revelation is very flexible. Some may say it's just a very high quality tone control but is that actually a bad thing if it makes the music on your records sound better?

Hope that helps and others will chip in.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:47am
Hello Mark, from the description of your system and your musical tastes/record collection it sounds as if you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by opting for the Revelation. At worst, as I understand it, set to RIAA it will work in the same way as the Reflex but with your pre-RIAA records the Revelation will give you scope to experiment. I use a Revelation M in conjunction with a SUT/Dynavector MC and find that 1950s LPs (DECCA and RCA in particular) can be significantly 'improved' by adjusting the settings and, like Jon (Fatmangolf), sometimes experiment with later recordings too.
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark.Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:33pm
Dear Jon and Peter, many thanks for the comments and kind advice. I've settled on getting a Revelation C as I'll greatly enjoy the flexibility and experimentation when spinning those old pre-RIAA records. While also having the ability to switch to RIAA mode. Again many thanks for the advice.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:44pm
Congratulations Mark. I know you'll have many years of listening pleasure from the Revelation C and hope you'll stay active on the forum so we gain from what you find out.

I wonder if the three of us and others should pool what we work out, building on Peter's points above and Graham's tips (https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/about/reproducing-old-records.html). Is it worth a thread on Non-RIAA records (and a better thread name!)?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark.Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 9:18am
Jon and Peter, think it's a terrific idea to pool ideas on the Revelation and it's switching for different tonal qualities on Non-RIAA records. Once I'm up and running in a few weeks will let you know. In the meantime I'll write a review of my observations on the Reflex C in my system. Many thanks
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 6:25pm
The Revelation C is a fantastic pre-amp. In my recent phone chat with forum member Bruce Kohl, we agreed this pre-amp needs a re-visit. I am a happy customer of the Accession but still have fond memories of the Revelation C - since most of my cartridges are MC. 

The Accession does wonders to the bass, the loudness and especially removing all that noise from playin back a vinyl. However I still remember the clarity and depth of the Revelation C - one of the reasons I never sold it. Once I am done with my foray into the MM cartridge world - time to fire up the Revelation C and do a complete revisit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic