FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CuSat 50 or Libran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:53am
I cannot comment on the application involved here but I had my short (non-GSP) interconnects re-terminated from RCA to Balanced as there was a quite noticeable difference, albeit it took some time to decide which was preferable between CD-Amp - the length is only around 30cm in my application.

With other hardware, cables and plugs the difference will change as may well extended lengths become more noticeable.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

...I had my short [] interconnects re-terminated from RCA to Balanced...

First question: after the RCAs were taken off you basically had cable. What is the make up of that cable? Is it coax - a core surrounded by a shield? Is it two core twisted in an overall shield?

I can then ask my second question.

(just wanting to learn)

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Thanks Phil. I think I remember you saying this previously. I think I would use just 1 metre.

To be honest I think I made a mistake when I said my cable to a 1.5 m. I think they're really only 1 m after all.
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:51pm
Graham thank you, my earlier comments had been in relation to Ash's comments, but looking at their website I have cut the following extract - hopefully this wont attach all those strange symbols and will mean more to you than to me....

Quad-balanced design; 6N OCC Silver (99.9999%) MSS (multi-strand-solid) conductors; Foamed Polyethylene dielectric; Six layer silver/copper active shielding system (dual-layer copper foil shield; 6N Silver-plated OCC Copper (99.9999%) braid shield; dual-layer copper foil shield; 6N Silver-plated OCC Copper (99.9999%) braid shield); Can be terminated with either RCAs / Neutrik XX-Series XLRs. 

In order to compare I had a further cable to try before sending mine back to be re-terminated - I did lose a little length but remains just long enough.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 4:53pm
Sorry to cause confusion. In summary, the R3 is simply a single-ended cable (one phase and one ground) that can only be connected between balanced output/input as it uses the '-ve' phase, which unbalanced outputs/inputs don't have. Connect it between unbalanced output/input and it won't carry a signal.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by msphil msphil wrote:

Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Thanks Phil. I think I remember you saying this previously. I think I would use just 1 metre.

To be honest I think I made a mistake when I said my cable to a 1.5 m. I think they're really only 1 m after all.

Phil, I now seem to remember that we did the Lautus vs. CuSat comparison when I was last at your place collecting some LPs. We were certainly in agreement whatever it was we compared. I remember a feamale vocalist sound much harsher (piercing) with one of the cables.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 5:26pm
I've opted for standard CuSat50 TRS Jack to XLR. Cables and Proprii have just been ordered.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic